Holy Hannah

PB works when cutting front paws! But Hannah is protective of her back leg from an injury?

Asked by Holy Hannah on Jul 11th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but it sounds like you mean that peanut butter works as a reward when clipping Hannah's front paws? But that she's protective of her leg right now due to a recent injury and even the peanut butter won't work as a treat so you can't clip her nails on the back paw?

If that's the case, then simply wait until her injury heals. It's not advisable to try and get her into a nail clipping position with a recent injury anyway; it's just risking worse injury if she tenses up from fear or ends up squirming.

It's ok for her back nails to be a bit long while she heals. You can go ahead and clip the front two, but just wait on the back legs until she heals.

Hope that helps!

I can't say I blame her that must be very sensitive for her when you get to the back one.
If you can have someone in the front and the back so 3 people to do the back one. Have the dog on its back one person feeding her PB and just have each person securely and gently hold her in position so the leg is vertical in the air. If she will tolerate so many people you might be able to gently get her body aligned so that there is no need to move her leg much at all. I would make it quick as you can. I don't know any other suggestions except praise if she is still and willing to let you clip them.