Overweight stubborn dog that does not do well on diets. what to do?

My dog is overweight and needs to lose pounds. we have tried to put her on a diet but she always goes over to the neighbors house and eats their dog food. Lately she has been very lazy and doesnt want to do much and i am getting worried. what should i do?

Asked by Member 716016 on Oct 6th 2008 Tagged dietswithstubborndogs in Obesity

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

What should you do? Get really serious.

Don't let her get over to the neighbors house. Supervise her outdoor time. If you are good terms with your neighbor, ask them to help you out and feed their dog inside or in an area your dog can't get to the food.

Talk to your vet and make sure there is no physical problems with your dog.

Control her portions. Get more exercise. =Repeat.

Good Luck

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 10/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I agree with the above answer. Best of luck to you!
I know your frustrations. I had a cat who was overweight and we had the hardest time to get her to lose weight. Unfortunately, we were unsuccessful and she died from liver dysfunction as a result of her obesity...

Shumai

Shumai is overweight of 6.1 lbs (He is suppose to be 15 lbs only) and have been trying to get him to lose some weight...I even bought him dry food "Healthy Weight Adult Dog Weight Reduction Formula for overweight adult dogs made by PremiumEdge (all natural)and he has pooping more now and i don't know if he had loose any weight yet...I brought him to the Vet last week because of a problem of his wheezing and coughing that i had ask for help on Sept 6 here and i tried to give him the same thing i gave my cat for her hairballs but it was worse than what i thought...The Vet told me he has water in his lungs and had pneumonia so he was given 7 shots including his boosters and two kinds of pills that he is taking until now...He had slow down a bit with the wheezing and coughing but he is not out of the woods yet...and THANK YOU to Lily and Burkett's Cookies 'n' Creme TA for their advise...luv you guys!!!

Shumai answered on 10/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer