Ty-ohni

Our NAID is about 6 1/2 months old and he's still not housebroken. The vet said that he could take up to a year. Is anyo

Asked by Ty-ohni on Aug 29th 2012 Tagged naid, housebreaking in House Soiling

Answers

How often do you take him out? Is he crate trained? Do you limit his water after 7pm? Is he around any unspayed females? Try posting this on the behavior forum on this site. There are more people they to give advice.

My beagle puppy is 9 months. I was getting worried about the same thing, but the vet said it can take a good year for them to be fully potty trained. Literally my puppy suddenly got the hang of it.....and for awhile was only going on the puppy pad at night....now, she doesn't at all....or very rarely. Now, I don't have to go out every hour lol proper training does need constant work....out every hour...every time they eat, drink or play...etc. you are fine still :-)

Crate training your dog would help emensely! Also, instant reward when they go potty outside. It is very common to have issues up to a year old, especially If there is no one there to correct the behavior. <-- that is when a kennel comes in handy! Your dog doesnt want to sit in his or her urine and stool, so they wont go while in one (unless certain circumstances). Also, as mentioned before, letting them out frequently would make all the difference as well!
I hope this helps! :)

Tyson

Heres what i do with my dogs.. my two 6 mnth old dogs stared getting crate trained from the day we got them at 6 weeks, i woke up evey few hours at night to take them out (even if theyre sleeping, wake them up). took them out every 30 min which seems like alotttttt but it helped, everytime they go in their kennel they get a treat, eveytime they go to the bathroom they get a treat, whenver i seen them walking around looking bored and sniffing id take them out, i also took their water away 3 hours before i they went in their kennel for bed, by the time they were 4 months they were house broken & even started sleeping in our room & didnt even have to be locked up. My newest puppy we got at 8 weeks & is now 10 1/2 weeks.. we do the same exact thing,hes still veryyyy young so has accidents every now and then but he now knows the word "outside" & at night he doesnt whine to go to the bathroom, i take him out at 11pm & again at 5am.

Tyson answered on 9/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer