our great dane male is 16 months and he is 35 at shoulder..is this normal

our great dane male is 16 months and he is 35 at shoulder..does he grow more.

we feed him ..cooked beef with rice in morning
and pedigree meat and rice at nights... any suggesstions in change in diet

Asked by Member 848731 on Apr 14th 2010 in Great Dane

Answers

I'm pretty sue the large breed dogs mature slower than the small dogs. Were you able to see the parents? That's usually an indication of how big he may get. He should be on a large breed puppy formula dog food. Once he's full grown, in about another year, then you can switch him to regular food. Try going to the Food & Nutrition forum on this site. There are very knowledgeable people there. They can give you better advice on feeding.

Miss Buddie

I agree with the other poster. Large breed dogs are often not fully grown until their second birthday. I'd check with your vet about feeding. It could be that he needs to continue on large breed puppy formula for awhile longer.

Miss Buddie answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isy

At 16 months he's about as tall as he's going to get (mite grow a smidge more). Most of his growth from here on out will be in body bulk. He'll continue to fill out until he is between 2 and 3 years old. 35" is a pretty normal height for a male.

A really good kibble to have him on is Taste of the Wild. It is grain free and is very popular among Dane owners since many of the lines do well on it. Pedigree is a horrible food! At 16 months I wouldn't bother with a puppy food at all. He's at the age that you'd want to be switching him over to adult formulas anyway.

Another really good option is the Raw diet. My girls switched to raw about 2 months ago. They are doing sooooo much better than they did on kibble. It's a little more work and commitment, but it's soooo worth it! We'll never go back!!

Definately go check out the nutrition and raw forums. Lots of info over there!

Isy answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Usually male Great Danes reach a height of 32 inches, and some can grow a bit taller. I'd say your Great Dane won't grow any more than what he already has, and he seems to be at the right height for his breed.

Source: Training Pet Dog Website About Great Danes & Other Breeds: www.trainpetdog.com