Our dog bite a family member!

I have a 2 year old Chow/German Shepard mix. We're in the Process of rehoming her because we are moving to a community for my husbands job that is not pet friendly and it's breaking our hearts. She's very outgoing and has never showed any aggression until now. We're giving her to a member of our family and not a complete stranger. Last night we left her with them, who are training her to become an outside dog (she's been inside of a small apartment with us all her life), and we figured that'd be great for her since she has so much energy and a lot of room out there in the country to run and chase the animals. We got a call this morning that she had bite our uncle when he went out in the morning to feed her! This has NEVER happened before and our dog is nothing but a ball of love. We've been with her several times over there in fear we were jumping the gun and leaving her there to early to get used to everything and she seemed happy! What could cause our dog to do this? Now they no longer want our dog (and I don't blame them), and were running out of time. Please help, I don't know if our baby is going through anxiety or we did something wrong along the way...I just want her to be happy.

Asked by Member 1139129 on Jun 21st 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Ok..you have a mix of 2 strong breeds. Both are a "one-man-dog" type, so it would take time to establish a bond & for the dog to trust a new owner. At 2 she is just maturing and her true colors will emerge. You need to rehome her to a breed-savvy home.
Without more details, it is impossible to say what caused the bite to your family member.. It could be fear, it could be resource guarding, it could be aggression, it could have a physical basis.
Look into both chow & gsd specific rescues.
Best of luck to you.

Not to mention, she has been an inside dog and is now shut outside.
Dogs have the mental capacity of a toddler.
How many toddlers would feel safe outside all night?
And how do they treat the dog?
Some people are "heavy handed" with dogs. It isn't meant to be abusive, but to a sensitive dog it feels pushy and too rough.

I hope you can find a more knowledgeable home for your dog.

Your dog must be in pain or felt some form of aggression when he bit your uncle. He was not used to being left outside and he was probably scared or frightened.