Our dachshund has a stomach ache?

I came home from church today and noticed our dog looked a little off. Her back was slightly hunched and she was walking slow. I let her outside and she started eating grass. When I let her back inside to check on her, she wouldnt jump up on the couch and when I put her up there to pet her, she would whimper slightly. I dont know what to do. Im worried and dont want her to be in pain, but I hate to bring her to the vet if its just a stomach ache. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much!

Asked by Member 872520 on Aug 30th 2009 Tagged stomachache, daschund in Health & Wellness

Answers

Eating grass does not necessarily mean that a dog's stomach is aching. Here's what I recommend:
Call the vet up, ask if it's something to take the dog to them over.

I've had to do that once or twice with my dogs. Once, for example, my GSD had a wound with a green, gel-like puss. We called up the vet, asked if we should take her in, and they gave us instructions and said only to bring her in if it got any worse.

Chocolate

take her to the vet! your going to regret it if it turns out to be something worse. Your poor dog is in pain! you should get her checked out. what seemed to be a stomach ache in my dog turned out to be gastroenteritis, and he ended up requiring an IV to keep him hydrated as he couldn't keep anything down. and even if it is just a digestive upset, do you honestly think the vets will look at you like you have fungus growing from your forehead?

Chocolate answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Star

if your dog is in pain then my advise would be take her to the vets!!! They don't care if its nothing or something thats what they are there for, to help and advise.
Think how bad you would feel if it was something more serious and you hadn't taken her.
Its better to be safe than sorry!!!

Let us know how she gets on, take care
Maggie & Star

Star answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

With a dachshund and the symptoms you are describing it sounds like a back or disk problem. This is very serious and she needs to see a vet as soon as possible to prevent major problems such as paralysis or worse!!!!

B.J., CGC answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's the grass.
If you can get her to stop. I would not leave her outside alone. and I would go out with her. If she eats grass, say ut-ut-ut, if she stops or looks at you Praise immediately.
Keep doing that to see if you can break her of eating grass.

AJ

Hello there!!!
Interesting question. There is a Ask Dr. Barchas, DVM blog here on Dogster. Maybe you have a problem that is listed. For now, try feeding her wet food that doesn't need to be chewed as much and help her lie down and relax. Do you use any chemicals on your grass, such as weed killer or remedy to make your grass grow faster? There might be something in there that is bad for her (you should read the caution list, if so) and might cause her some stomach problems. I think you should also call your vet just to make sure, you never know whether this is something very important or just a seasonal flu. Have you recently introduced her to something new, such as food or treats, or planted a new plant in your yard? Chances are she is having an allerigic reaction.

AJ answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

To me (a non vet) it sounds like she hurt her back. This happened to my dog twice over the years. They look like they are walking on broken glass almost, cant hop up stairs, couches etc. It was easily fixed by a cortisone shot from my vet. Definately sounds like more than a stomach ache. A vet visit sounds in order. Good Luck!