Open wound three days after spaying?

We had our dog spayed 5 days ago. Three days after surgery, she had pulled out all her stitches. We immediately took her to the vet, and they gave her an antibiotic shot and left the wound open? They gave us a collar so she can't get at the wound, but we are having a hard time keeping her calm. Is it normal to just leave an incision open like that? Do we need to take her to a different vet?

Asked by Member 931987 on Dec 21st 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

♥ Sampson ♥

NO. Take her to another vet immediantly. Open wounds are very easily infected and she needs to get stitched up quickly. If you had your well.... hmm... Kidney removed the doctors wouldn't leave a big hole in you! (At least that's what my vet said...)

♥ Sampson ♥ answered on 12/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your dog's incision has heavy duty stitches under the skin. After three days, they are healed enough to prevent any serious problems. I have had more than one spayed dog pull out several if not all of the external sutures and they healed normally and fine. The antibiotic shot was probably penicillin and that is good for several days anyway. Keep her quiet as possible, use the collar so she can't lick, and she will be fine.

I cannot believe it! You are right to question that! She needs surgery NOW! That is a direct opening into the abdominal wall and septicemia is a strong possibility. Millie had a very bad time after spaying. It can get pretty gruesome.
You need to get a competent vet ASAP to fix your girl up.

Reilly

i WOULD BRING YOUR DOG TO A DIFFERENT VET, IN JUNE 09 MY DOG WAS SPAYED AND THE VET I USED GLUED HER. WELL TWO DAYS LATER THE INCISION OPENED UP AND ALL HER INTESTINES FELL OUT, i RUSHED HER TO A DIFFERENT VET AND THEY WERE ABLE TO SAVE HER LIFE.. IT COST ME 2300.00 TO SAVE MY PUPPY'S LIFE....

Reilly answered on 12/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would think they would of stitched it again but put a drainage tube in case it is going to get infected from her licking it and the saliva that got on it when she pulled the stitches out.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the wound is mostly closed, you can always get second opinion, which is what I would do.