One year old lab mix has mange...we've tried everything

We have tried everything. I have a lab/German Shepard one year old puppy and we are at our wits end. He broke out in mange, derm mange, and nothing has helped. He's on ivomectin, and lots of it. We've tried shampoos but I'm not sure what else to try. My vet said that it comes down to a quality of life thing for him. I'm wanting to help him. At one point he was so bad that he had no hair, fever and was a walking scab. He has hair now but in a Swiss cheese type pattern to describe it best. There is still sores sporadically on his hide. Is there anything out there that anyone has used that you deemed helpful for your dog? He's so sweet, but his poor pads on his feet are swollen all the time and are painful and bleed when knocked wrong or step in by another one of our dogs. Any ideas or advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

Asked by Member 1199605 on Nov 15th 2013 Tagged mange, skinproblems in Illness & Disease

Answers

Mange is extremely contagious as it is a fungus, and you are exposing all of your other dogs to it if they are sharing the same living space. Please discuss this with your vet, as it is easily able to be spread to humans via contact as well! ^_^