One of my dogs staples are coming out after a Luxating petella surgury. What should I do?

Should I let it fall out or go back to the vet and have him place another staple? There are 10 staples total and one of the staples is falling out the rest are in tact. Around the staple that is falling out his skin is pinkish red. He has not been chewing the staples, but does lick it occasionally. I am worried that if he licks it too much he will get an infection. It has been 1 week since his surgury. Please help!!

Asked by Member 732591 on Sep 9th 2008 Tagged staples, surgury in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

If it falls out, how large will the gap be? If you are unsure of what to do, don't hesitate to take him back to see your vet for his opinion. It's difficult to assess without seeing a picture, but typically if the opening is rather small, it will be fine and should heal up on it's own. You are right - don't let him lick it too much because it could get infected. The skin could be pink because the staple that is falling out is pulling on it, causing it to be somewhat red. Or, he could have licked it, and it could be getting infected. I would take him to your vet and see what he thinks. Let me know how he does!