Older Lab rear legs give out alot lately.

My 14 year old labs back legs are not supporting her anymore. Unable to put alot of weight on them and she falls. May have to put her down, the thought of that makes me suicidal, I love her so. How do I deal with this??

Asked by Member 898358 on Oct 8th 2009 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Harley

My heart goes out to you. It's one of the hardest things to do is to have to put your beloved friend down. I know it's difficult but you have to think about the dog and her quality of life at this point. If she can't get around she might be in terrible pain. You will know when it's time. I thought I wouldn't know, but I did. My previous dog had cancer and his legs started giving out. I couldn't see him like that anymore, he also just looked at me and I could see the pain in his eyes. I just told myself I wanted to remember him as he was...the loving, energetic dog he was. That day I put him down. Afterward I had peace of mind that I did the right thing, even though I was grief stricken. He was not in pain anymore and was at peace. I know you are probably tore up inside as putting your best friend down is heart breaking. There are pet grief support groups and websites out there that will help prepare you and help you afterward. Best of luck, you can email me if you need to:)

Harley answered on 10/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unfortunately, this is one of the hardest things we as dog owners must deal with. I always try to allow my older pet to keep their dignity... if that means heartache for me, then I must accept that as well. I cannot bear watching a beloved pet having accidents and having to be carried for basic functions... I watch their eyes... usually your pet will tell you it is time. Afterward, you grieve... you have lost a big part of your life!!! In many cases our pets are with us longer than our own children!!! When it is time, you will begin to remember the best times and, while there will always be a void, the better memories start to win out. Good luck with your decision.

Maverick

Mom suggests feeding your lab a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement like Nupro. Also, Mom just started taking me to the vet to give me an injection of glucosamine called Adoquin. For the first month I had to have one once a week and after that just once a month. I mainly have to get it in the colder months. If you can find a vet that will order you a large supply and show you how to give the injection you can get a years supply for around $70.

I hope your dog starts getting around better soon! I know how hard it can be.

Maverick answered on 10/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer