Old dog & new puppy?

Ok so i got a 4 year old silky terrier, which we have had since he was a puppy. He is usually super lovable & loves to cuddle & give kisses.

Just the other day we adopted a lab mix puppy who is 4 months old. when we introduced them blacky (my silky) was a little nervous & jumpy but he was still waging his tail (i dont know if thats a good sign) oh & he was also drooling a lot which he never does. We called the vet & they said he could just be 'excited'

But today the second day of them meeting blacky seems to be growling more and he even growled at me at one point. could he be mad at me?? he doesnt lick or my sister anymore, and he started peeing everywhere he smells the puppy's scent.

He still wags his tail from time to time but he doesnt want the puppy near him. Every time marley get close to him he barks & shakes his paws kinda like a bull does. Other than that he just ignores him.

I need help, is this normal, will it get better? i dont know what to do & it's really upsetting

Asked by Member 1020649 on Jan 25th 2011 Tagged puppy, introducing, socialising, growling, drooling, peeing, behavior in Socialization

Answers

Dusty

With Blacky being older, he is more set in his ways and much calmer than a 4 month old lab. Blacky is (in his own way) trying to set boundries for the new puppy. Best advise, keep the puppy away from Blacky until they get used to each other...supervised meetings preferably after Marley has had some playtime and is a bit calmer. When Marley is sleeping Blacky will start to investigate him and start to get used to Marley. Things should get better with time and minor adjustments. Remember to give each dog time alone with you....to play or cuddle whichever they prefer.

Dusty answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Misha (R.I.P. 4/29/13)

It's normal for some dogs to be a little weary when there's a new dog/cat/person/etc. in the house. You just need to give them time. :) As the other person said, make sure you supervise them as you don't want Blacky getting too protective of his space and biting the pup. New things can be very stressful for dogs at first. Once he understands the puppy isn't any threat, he will most likely mellow out.

In the meantime, you could tossing treats to him when the puppy is around. This will redirect his attention from growling at the pup, and should also reinforce that when the puppy is around it's a good thing for him. :)

Misha (R.I.P. 4/29/13) answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

Yes, and since he was the only one for a long time. He does nto want to share with this new puppy what is more then likely allready bigger then him. It may take awhile , but you just have to remember not to get after him when he is mad and still give him attention. I know it is hard to do , but alot of times i spend more time with the older dog when you bring a new puppy in just to let them know they are still loved

Kazba answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

These are all classic behaviors. Dogs exhibiting both nervous behavior and wagging their tails are usually not being friendly. Check if Blacky's tail is stiff; that means he's being aggressive. He's peeing where Marley has because he's covering up Marley's info. Basically saying, "I'm the boss here!"
This will probably clear up soon as long as you:
1. Split your attention between Marley and Blacky evenly. Blacky might be jealous because he thinks you love Marley more than you love him.
2. Give them walks every day - you holding one dog, your sister another. This is very good both for them bonding and relaxing!
Stop stressing over it, that might also contribute to Blacky's bad behavior. Just relax, give them equal attention and daily walks, and have fun with your new puppy!