Allie

No sign of fleas yet my poor girl is scratching like crazy! Same problem last year...

Vet had no answer other than to add some oil to her food. Her undercoat is fuzzy gray and she is leaving clumps of fur everywhere. My cat has scabby bumps on her neck as well, but again not one sign of a flea anywhere! I am up for any suggestions...

Asked by Allie on Aug 8th 2013 in Skin Problems

Answers

They can be allergic to perfumey or heavily scented cat litter, laundry detergent, dryer beads, fabric softener, lawn pesticides, etc. Do not let them out in the grass after you or your complex sprays for 48 hours to be safe. Get rid of all smelly room sprays, etc. I'm not sure what you're feeding them, but Nutro Natural Choice has a guaranteed skin & coat guarantee 100% or your $$ back. I would try lamb & rice for the dog and whitefish for the cat. Do you live in an area with ticks? Get a tick key and check for those as well, even if they're currently on a preventative. ^_^

Sanibel

Check out my page. I have lots of info on allergies VS yeast.
www.dogster.com

Get a MARS King comb to remove undercoat and help the skin breathe.

Sanibel answered on 8/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you know its not fleas and it happens the same time each year I'd go with some sort of environmental allergy. My mom's dog and cat both suffer from the same type of allergy (we believe its the grass). Not much you can do. Sometimes benadryl works, sometimes you need to talk with a vet about topical creams and more.

Your dog's skin must be drying up and becomes flaky. That can cause itchiness.