New puppy with trust issues :(

Hi! We recently got a 5 month old Australian Shepherd. He is a little nervous around my husband and kids. He had warmed up to me, but is having a hard time with the rest of my family. He does great when he is on his leash and is somewhat ok with others petting him, but when I take him off of his leash and leave him outside for longer than 10 min he will bark at me like I'm a stranger and refuses to come to me until about 6 treats and 10 minutes later. I need to know how to teach him to trust us until we can get him into obedience training, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Asked by Member 1179854 on Jul 11th 2013 in Socialization

Answers

Hi, where did the dog come from? Was he left alone, or in a shelter? This will help you to better understand his behavior. Your goal, for now, is to find a favorite food, toy or treat that will motivate your pup, and yes, training is a great idea. Bring the whole family when you go so the pup knows that he has to listen to everyone. Maybe he is looking for things to herd, and your kids (depending on age) could be just the thing, or even a cat ^_^