New puppy, Letting it sleep in my bed?

I am getting a new puppy in two week, and I am very excited. I am trying to get my house ready for my very first dog... and while doing research I have heard its not good to let them sleep with you but I want him to be able to sleep with me... is that really such a bad thing, for him to sleep in my bed?

Asked by Member 1135800 on Oct 14th 2012 Tagged sleeping, newpuppy, bed in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mika

I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It really all depends I would say on the type of dog you are getting and what kind of relationship you want with him. If it's a large breed just remember that he will grow up and know that his spot is on the bed with you and he will not want to change that! Some say that if you let dogs on your bed and your couch they see themselves as equals and will be harder to train and control, but if you make sure in all other aspects that your pup knows your the boss then there should be no issues. Our pup is allowed on the couch and she sometimes sleeps with us and sometimes she decides not to..so really up to you. Hope that helps a bit.

Mika answered on 10/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie (Calliope)

Suggest having your puppy start out sleeping in a box or crate next to your bed to start. Until your dog is potty trained and/or you learn their "gotta pee" signs it's best not to let them in your bed. Save yourself from having to wash the sheets. And then eventually you can transition to sleeping in your bed. My plan was to let my dog sleep in my bed but she goes crazy in my room for some reason so she now sleeps on the couch. Better for both of us.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 10/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's all about claiming space. You don't want a dog, especially a baby puppy- with no boundaries. That said, I allow my dog to cuddle with me in bed but she has earned it. She sleeps on a big dog bed next to my bed. She can get into bed with me when I say it's okay. This way she understands that some space is not hers- and that she has to refer to you before acting. This will create a better behaved dog and an easier training experience for you. When you establish boundaries then you can phase in where she is and isn't allowed according to your comfort level.
If its a small dog its just as important!