New puppy- fences and crates from first time owner.

I just got an australian Shepard and german shepard mix. He grew up in the human society since about a week old. he is not 3 months and 3 weeks old. I was wondering since i have a huge backyard with woods off to the right with coyotes and lots of wildlife if i should get a fence or would a long chain in the ground be good enough? However i am afraid of him pulling the chain from the ground chasing a rabbit or a deer into the woods and raping himself around a tree and choking out.
He doesn't have a problem of stopping when i tell him to.
i didn't have a leash the first night and when he would start running a distance away from me and i yelled stop he instinctively stopped and came back. I just read that he will be very very active when he gets older and i would like to let him play outside without having to worry.
Also i was wondering if having his crate in my bedroom which i do spend alot of my time is a good thing?
THANK YOU.

Asked by Member 1148408 on Jan 5th 2013 Tagged fence, playfull, outside, crate in Agility & Sports

Answers

Your question is very confusing. If you have coyotes and/or any other animals that can harm your dog, I would "NEVER" leave him unattended outside, Not on a chain or in a fence. One dog is no match for any coyote. Crate training him is a good idea and a lot of people keep their dogs' crate in the bedroom. If your ok with that, then it would be ok. I would take him to some training classes to make sure he is solid on his obedience, esp. his recall. That is very important when you have wild animals close by. Good Luck!

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

do you remember jurassic park? do you remember the part where they tried to feed the t-rex? you dog would b the goat. but unlike the t-rex the coyotes, bears, other animals will attack him while on the chain. the rest of your questions i'm not sure what your asking. there r several containment methods you can use for out in the woods. i lived on a wolf rescue that was not enclosed. so i do know some methods of containment that do work. message me for info. but the best thing especially with the breed is to keep your dog with you, supervised all the time. bears are especially fond of the taste of wolf cubs. probably the same with puppies.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 1/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mika

Well if you are worried about coyotes and whatnot, having him on a chain will not help. Do you leave him out overnight??? If he is in at night especially I wouldn't worry to much about coyotes and wolves. A fenced yard is always best but if a coyote wants over a fence they will get over a fence. I dont have a fenced yard I have my Huskies out on a long lead with a very long screw stake thing way down in the ground and it doesn't budge as it spirals down into the ground. Although my dogs are mostly indoors, just go out to play. A crate in your bedroom is not a bad idea, i'm not sure why you would think it is? The puppy is close to then and that is where he will want to be. Make sure you keep working on your recall with your pup if you plan to have him off leash, even if he is good at coming back to you now when you call, as he grows older it may change if you dont continue to work on it throughout his life. When you call him back to you have some yummy treats for him as reward good luck

Mika answered on 1/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer