Cooper

Neutering our 10 month old Labrador pup?

Our breeder was very insistent that we didn't get our yellow Lab pup neutered until he was at least 12 months old, but as he is getting friskier by the day I just wanted to check opinion on whether there's biological benefits/disavantages of having him neutered then or whether it's more a personal choice?

Asked by Cooper on Feb 14th 2009 Tagged labrador, neutering, puppy in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

I'd say its a personal choice for neutering, but waiting until 12 months may increase the chance for disease.
Most vets nowadays recommend spaying and neutering at at least 8-10 WEEKS old. Its better to do it earlier, but as he's already 10 months then I'd say get it done as soon as possible.
I don't think that neutering early will affect his growth or anything like that.
Neutering a 6 wk old Mastiff pup MIGHT affect its growth but it shouldn't do anything to a healthy 10 wk old pup, much less a 10 MONTH old pup!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lexie

It is much safer to get them fixed a 6 mounths old. my friend got a big male dog he is a 1 1/2 old got him fixed last week and he done good but wating will make them whant to roam mark and have a girl friend. I wolud go ahead and get it done as soon as I clould.

Lexie answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Saige

nueturing does NOT have any affect on male dog's hormones. It doesnt affect their growth or masculinity in any way. It is best to get any dog spaded or nuetered at 6 mos before their first heat cycle. It is a myth for anyone to wait until after their first heat cyle to get the procedure done. It is safer for a pet to go through this at a younger age, although it can be done at any age. The younger the better for health reasons and benefits in this animals future.

Saige answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ugh. Your dog looks great and healthy, I'd say its safe to neuter him now. However, those who say it doesnt' affect size obviously do not own very large breeds. On the same note, if you aren't planning on breeding, then size in appearance should not be important to you. Your dog is probably as tall as it is going to get, though other things could change in size. However, extra large breeds, such as mastiffs ARE affected by early neutering because they grow for so much longer than other breeds and they NEED those hormones for proper head growth, bone growth, and everything else. If you see a mastiff that looks like a great dane, its because it was neutered wayyy too early!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 2/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can now don't worry.
I don't know what her reason is, but it will not hurt him any more or less.
My vet recommends at 6 months.

Promise

Hi Cooper,
You should probably be neutered a.s.a.p. Neutering can significantly decrease your risk of getting testicular and other cancers. It is just healthier overall for male dogs to be neutered and should be done unless they are being studded. Check with your vet, but you are definitely old enough. I'd ignore the breeder and go with what the vet says (which will probably be how quickly can we do it!).

Good Luck!

Promise answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sable

I got my dog from a shelter that won't adopt out dogs until they are old enough to neuter, because so many people don't bring them back; then once they are chosen for adoption, they are fixed the next day and taken home. I was kind of concerned when they wanted to neuter a puppy that young, but his regular vet (the one I used for my previous dog as well) said it wasn't a problem.

Sable was neutered at 8 weeks old, when he weighed 5-1/2 pounds, and he's never had any problems. He was a malnourished runt when I got him - his vet originally predicted he'd weigh 30-40 pounds, and he now weighs 82! He's a very happy, healthy, laid-back dog, and certainly neutering him early didn't stunt his growth.

If you're concerned with waiting (or not waiting), call the breeder and find out WHY the breeder suggested it - then call a vet as well, and make the decision based on what you think is best for your dog.

Sable answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marli

As a breeder we sell with a desex/neuter contact that says not before 9 months but before 12 months. Doing it at an early age WILL affect your pup, incontinence , longer legs as the bone plates do not close when they should can affect maturity, coat etc as well as mentally.
Our vet will not do them under 6 months.

Marli answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We have two male dogs. A Beagle and a Border Terrier. The breeders of both of our Male dogs said 12 months. Reason from both, it allows their skeletal structure to completely form. Neutering earlier can cause weak bones. We have since found two Beagle books that back the breeder up. We neutered the Beagle 2 days after his first birthday and he is almost 3 now and healthy as can be. Runs in agility and also tracks.

Our Son has a female Beagle and his breeder and vet suggested six months for her, prior to her first heat.

I suggest you listen to your breeder. They probably know more about your particular breed than even the vet.

Doggie Mom

Emilie

I am a 10 1/2 yr old female Bouvier spayed at 6 1/2 months before I had a chance to come into my first heat cycle so as to avoid the "mess". If my mom knew then what she knows now, I would have had at least one heat cycle before being spayed.

My "brother", an "almost 2" year old male Bouvier, will be used for stud, so he will stay intact. In observing his siblings that were neutered/spayed earlier, there is an apparent "lack of maturity" in their look.

Every breed is different. But regardless, I suggest allowing the dog to reach 12 months before spaying or neutering to allow at least one year of growth hormones. Boys will be frisky and silly. Girls will be bitches. Period.

I am on my 2nd bout with bone cancer and research shows that I may not have had any cancer if I had had a complete year of growth before spaying.

My mom thinks that animals younger than 6 months of age shouldn't be spayed or neutered. It has an impact regardless of what PETA and HSUS sells.. er says.

Emilie answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cleo

The veterinarian I worked for recommends 6 months as the best age to neuter. At 6 months your dog is just starting to mature. If you are planning on neutering your dog anyway, there is no valid reason to wait.

Neutering is a very simple surgery that is over in a matter of minutes. Although there is no medical or biological disadvantages in waiting until your dog is 12 months; your dog could have some psychological and/or behavioral problems adjusting after the surgery if you wait.

It just seems kinder to me to neuter and spay BEFORE the pet is fully aware and mature.

Cleo answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer