Neighbors stray? cats on my porch furniture. Frightening my kids. They let their cats out 24/7. What can I do ?

I'm allergic to cats. Neighbors cats keep coming on my porch leaving their hair on my porch furniture. Neighbor has door on garage where their cats can come and go.

Asked by Member 840583 on May 27th 2009 in Animal Control

Answers

Katie

Hi there!
I don't know if you realize you posted this question on Dogster, but if you have a dog, perhaps you could hang out on the porch with him or her to keep the cats away!? If not, my dog would love to help guard your porch! :-)
All kidding aside, have you talked to your neighbor about this? I'm allergic to cats, too, and I would definitely start by letting these "cat" neighbors know that their animals are being a nuisance to you and your kids.
If you've talked to them and they haven't done anything to fix the problem, then talk to other neighbors to see if you have any allies that can help persuade the cat people to control their felines. I would also call Animal Control and find out what they recommend for next steps. You probably don't want to start a neighbor-war, but frightened children and cat-hair-covered furniture are not acceptable on your property.
I hope the reasonable discussion approach works for you! Good luck!

Katie answered on 5/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

Google cat repellent.
One of the homes in our subdivison would feed the stray cats so they had like 20 or so at any given time bothering the homes close to them. My cousin was living next door and got tired of it since the animal control in our area does not pick up cats, so they went out and bought some type of cat repellent and went around thier property line and around their house and he swears it worked, that the cats finally stopped come on to thier porch.
It's worth a try.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo

If you've already tried talking to the neighbor about their cats and have gotten no where, you can always call animal control. Cats are included in the leash laws just as much as dogs are (although it's not enforced as much). Roaming cats get into garbage cans, dig up flower beds and defecate where ever they please. They are also prone to getting into poisons and traps left for other pests.

It's unfortunate that many cat owners think nothing of letting their pets roam free to become a nuisance for everyone else.

Boo answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer