Neighbor shot my dog. Can I sue if so how. My first time dealing with this. I live in texas

Well the dude that shot my dog is now getting arrested. The warrant has been issued by the judge. This is what happened. My dog, kratos, along with our 3 other dogs ended up getting out from the backyard. One witness states that she saw the dogs running around chasing each other, not bothering anyone. She also states that she was able to pet Kratos. She says that she saw no aggresion from him. Now there was another who saw the whole thing. He also said that the dogs were chasing each other and not bothering nobody. He said that he saw Kratos and Kratos just looked at him and gave him a muffled bark and went on chasing the other dogs. He is a vet tech and he also stats that he saw no aggression from Kratos. Now there were two kids in the field in our neighborhood playing football. My dog really love to chase balls. Even when I walk him and he sees a ball he always tries to go for it. So now he is loose and running towards two kids. My dog is 120 lbs and is a Presa Canario so I expect them to be scared. The kid went home to get his dad. Now his dad came outside with a dog toy in his hand, to get the attention of Kratos. He claims that my dog jumped up and bit him. Now the witness went inside is house at that time but came back outside and saw the man with a gun. So he went chasing after the man to tell him not to shoot my dog, that my dog has not harm anybody. The man with the gun showed him his arm and shouted in rage that my dog had bit him. The witness saw nothing but alot of slobber a hole in his shirt, not ripped. Im pretty sure that if my dog was got a hold of his shirt aggressively is will be ripped big time and he wouldve got a hold of his arms. So that just shows me that Kratos was going for the toy and that it was a bite and release vs a aggressively bite where he wouldve held his shirt and shook his head to try to tear his arm off. Now back to the story, He told the man that he is ok and not injured and that the dog didnt bite him and all that is on his shirt is slobber and that's what mastiffs do. He wouldn't listen and still repeatedly said that my dog bit him. So the man continued down to the field where my dog was at. The witness say my dog was running away to chase the other dog but he heard the man running towards him so my dog turned around. When he did the man ended up shooting him in the face. Kratos dropped to the ground and the man was about to shoot a second time but Kratos got up like a G and ran back up to the house in the backyard. Now the other witness went to our backyard to check on Kratos but he was now laying by the garage. So her daughter ended up staying with Kratos the whole time till the police and animal patrol showed up. Kratos layed his head on her lap the whole time and still showed no aggression. Im pretty sure if my dog was aggressive he wouldn't allow a girl near him after being shot at and in pain. This man had no reason to shoot my dog, he didn't harm anybody or showed no aggression. I hope this man ends up getting shot in his face and that he suffers and dies. Kratos was my first dog. I treated him and looked at him as my family, as blood, as my son. Thanks for reading, I needed to vent.

Asked by Member 1165537 on Apr 16th 2013 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Wilbur

Sorry but you are at fault. There are leash laws and you failed to comply as did the other dog owners, had he not got shot animal control would have eventually picked him up. Your dog must be leashed or fenced in your yard. I am sorry for your loss and I do believe what he did was a bit extreme, and he would have to prove the bite. The fact the he shot the dog in a public area, where he could have injured an innocent bystander I'm sure is against the law also. Discharge of a fire arm (500 yards?) from a dwelling, or public area is a big no, no. Does he even have a permit for the gun? You are allowed to shoot a dog on your own property if it is attacking or harassing livestock but taking it off your property you need a permit.

Wilbur answered on 5/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

I am sorry for you it is a shame that the law will most likely see this as a misermenor and he may get fined or a few years or probabtions it is a shame you had to have this happen some people don't look at a big dog as friendly and the aggression they seem to see is not that but excitement and your dog might of bit but in trying to get the toy somedogs will try to get the toy and not relize your hand is still on it and bites you not meaning to. I am truely sorry for you. I would go to the sentencing and maybe the court will let you speak I don't know how this will be but if jury you may have your chance as if you can get the witness to help you with what he she saw. Good luck.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beauty and Nala

So sorry to hear this. Did Kratos survive the shot? FILE CHARGES!!! SUE HIM IN CIVIL COURT!! it sounds like he shot Kratos OFF of his property which is illegal. Did the police or animal control take pictures of his so called injuries? I would sue sue and sue some more. YOU WERE NOT IN THE WRONG HERE!!!

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer