Squire

neeed help giving meds to my dogs. I've tried hiding it in their food

I have 2 dogs with kennel cough. At first I was able to hide the medication in canned dog food or hamburger but now they have figured it out and they eat the part they like and spit out the pill.

Asked by Squire on Aug 8th 2010 in Medications

Answers

We have had the same problem this weekend! Our dog wouldn't take his pill in either a treat or his food. We ended up wrapping it in either a piece of turkey or putting it in the middle of some peanut butter. So far both have worked.

Buckeye

Try wrapping the pills in a small piece of cheese and feeding them to your dogs. If lunch meat works, you can also use that. My dog has to take a lot of medication daily and the cheese always works. I also know that they sell pill pockets. You can insert the pill in a small hole through the middle. This didn't work for our dog, but you could always give it a try. Good luck!

Buckeye answered on 8/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bo

My dog Bo, has figured out how to get the food out from around the pill. No food will work for him, so I have to use the old method of putting the pill in the back on the side of his mouth, and hold his muzzle for a few seconds. This really is the easiest way when you learn how to do it properly. It is quick, easy and no frustration and mess from a softened pill left lying on the floor.

When you release the muzzle, wait to watch for the nose lick. Once your dogs lick their nose, then the pill has been swollowed. This takes only a second or two.

I can use food with any of my other dogs, but not my pit. He simply refuses to eat a pill, even if it is put inside a piece of t-bone steak. So if your dogs are that serious about not taking the pill via food disguises, you really are better off learning the method of hand dosing. Again, it is really easy once you have mastered it. So start practicing. :o)

Good luck!!!

Bo answered on 8/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We use american cheese or Baby Bell cheese.
It slips down easy so they don't have to chew like with meat.
Just smush the cheese into a lump around the pill. Use the rest of the slice as bait to get them to gobble without thinking.

2 dogs is a plus! Natural competition means they will take the cheese without too much thought - just to get it befor the other dog does.

Rip off long strips of cheese to "prime" them. After they gobble 1 or 2 pieces, slip in the pill wrapped cheese to both at the same time. Follow immediately with another big piece!

Kazba

I use the pill pockets you can get at petsmart or petco. My dog wuld always find his pills but he likes these. And you can shape it around the pill to help hide it also

Kazba answered on 8/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer