Beckettt

Need to crate 6 yr. old adult rescue coonhound at night AND while we're away?

redbone coonhound rescued when he was 6mo about 6 yrs ago. I took him to playgroups,training, daycare and a walker. He's very good with us and with the kids (they are 1 and 3). He took to some training really well and some other training has been impossible (leash walking). He's dog aggressive and gets stressed about it. We do walk him less but I'm home more (I now work part time). Goes out in the backyard about 6-8 X daily at least). He barks to come in almost immediately. He hates going out in rain.

We've had on and off pee/poop issues. We crate trained initially, then gave him larger increments of roaming. We're back to crating him while we're gone (stressed barking out window; counter surfs, rummages).

He will occasionally pee on stuff (our bed which he sleeps on; the couch and the carpeted stairs). Then he's good for awhile. He's neutered, goes to the vet regularly and each time we've had pee troubles. At wits end. Husband wants to night crate but that's alot of crating

Asked by Beckettt on Jun 11th 2013 Tagged urination, adult in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

The first thing you can do to help this dog is to neuter him. In my experience, despite what others might say, it has been a calming agent and diminishes some hostility toward strange dogs. My dog hates the rain too and we live in a rainy area, so I am buying her a raincoat. Hopefully it will help. Spray the inside of the crate with calming spray at least 10 minutes before you put him inside. It's natural and I like the results. After neutering, you may find it's not as rough a road ahead as you thought! Cheers, ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/15/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer