Ruger

Nails falling off

Ruger is a pure breed ACD, he is 6 months old

In the past 3-4 months Ruger has lost 3 nails 2 on one front paw and one on the other front paw (The nails come completely out of the nail bed and slip off the quick leaving quick intact but exposed). All 3 in different places, inside, outside and at a friends house. He is a crazy hyper dog that jumps and paws at everything, typical cattle dog. I have noticed little stress marks on all of his other nails on all other paws. The gap on the nail underneath is larger then normal, looks like he has been running allot on concrete, but I have not been able to walk him very much in the last 3 weeks due to his injuries. I was wondering if any one has ever had any experience with this before or has seen anything like this.

I took him to the Vet but they want to do $900.00 worth of testing on him before they will give me any clues. If I have to do the tests I will but I would really like to get a little more information before I have to.

A

Asked by Ruger on Aug 27th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

K-10 Von Canein

When we got K-10, at 4 months of age, his nails were brittle. He had ear infections and the "runs". After we found a smart vet (after 4 different vets) we put him on a raw diet. His nails are now so strong that even commercial clippers will break instead of clipping a nail. We now have to use a dremmel tool with a grinding atachment to clip or trim his nails. His ear infections have been gone since 4 days after the diet change, and the runs were gone since 2 days of the diet change. That has been more than 13 months ago! Do your dog a favor! You mentioned like $900.00 in tests. Instead of 900, do an inexpensive test. I am supplying a link to a video that will give you a good recipe for raw food. If you are against raw, look up your own food on dogfoodanalysis.com. Click on reviews, enter your food, and read the review. Here is a site for good food
www.youtube.com
Regular dairy products may be used instead of goat products. We, however, use raw goat products

K-10 Von Canein answered on 8/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you think he is chewing on them.
That could be a possiblity.
My rescue is getting better at not doing it.
But, her chewing issues were very bad when I first got her. It is possible he is self mutalating them.
If so, you will have to invest in some testing to see if maybe he has yeast inside the nail and maybe a blood panel.
Start off with the most simple testing to be able to pay for it one step at a time.
If you feel they are too expensive you can always get a second opinion.
If he is self chewing them, buy a kong and stuff it with peanut butter.
If he has yeast inside the nails it would not be alot of money for pills to take.
I have a wild dog like that at home and she has never broken nails off like that.
But, nothing is impossible.
Try setting up a video camera after you go to bed to observe his activity. Maybe boredom is a factor see what you see. good luck.