my yorky is feeling sick after rabies shots like fever

Asked by Member 798165 on Jan 28th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Some dogs don't feel well for a day or two after getting shots. If it continues for much longer, then have a vet check her out.

Zackintosh CJ

Its a reaction. Some dogs have more drastic reactions, some dogs have milder ones.
Its the shot that causes it, overvaccination causes more problems than it helps.
Most dogs you can just vaccinate ONCE when they are puppies and don't ever need it again.
However, with rabies you are required to get it every 1 or 3 yrs unless you are allowed to titer test every year because the dog had a bad reaction.
Call your vet who gave the shot and ask about it.
If it doesn't go away, take her into the vet to be looked at.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PrincessMorningstar

I would call the vet right away so he can also note it on her record. Yorkies are usually more sensitive to Booster shots then the rabies, however if she had a booster shot within the last 2 week, and then the rabies shots its just to much on her system.
If you don't see a change within 24 hrs then you should definitely run her to the vet. I went though this with my Maltese's years ago. I learned to spread their shots out. And when they reached six years old, I had a tither done, for their rabies immunity level. They never needed another rabies shot. They lived to 14 and 16 years old.

PrincessMorningstar answered on 1/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree you should check with your vet. I never had this problem with my dogs, but I've had vax problems with 2 of my cats. One is sensitive to vax & gets benedryl shots with them. The other has had a V.A.S. (Vaccine Associated Sarcoma) due to over-vax'ing. He had to get the killed-virus rabies shots. Check with your vet, I'm betting your dog needs benedryl w/vax. Meanwhile, I would do some research on "over-vaccinating." Be careful what vets you ask, too. Many vets are sweeping this problem under the rug & keeping hush-hush about it, as vaccines R their prime source of income. However, science has learned that vaccines build up in the blood and are turning out to be necessary far less frequently than once thought. Some vaccinations aren't necessary more than once in their lifetime and given the risks, some aren't really necessary at all, many think. Of course, rabies is regulated by law, so there isn't much to do about that one, but check all this out. Start on Google & Metacrawler.