MY Yorkie has been throwing up a lot .I was wondering what is the best food to feed her since she has a senaitve stomach

Asked by Member 872302 on Aug 30th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

B.J., CGC

My first step would be to consult a veterinarian and find out why she is vomiting constantly. There are a number of reasons she could be vomiting and not all of them would be helped by changing her food. Without knowing why it is impossible to suggest a special food to help her.

B.J., CGC answered on Aug 30th.

Answers

Daisy

Theres a few food you can try that with experience I know can help with sensitive tummies. California naturals is a more simplistic type of food thats good for tummy issues, Wellness simple solutions is another. I have had lots of experience with NOW! grain free. Its a grain free food thats designed for pets with digestive upset or sensitive tummies. It has helped Rosie and actually the cat food is the only kibble our 2 cats can eat. When Daisy had a sensitive tummy as a puppy I fed her Royal Canine mini special 30. Designed for picky eaters with sensitive tummies. She was vomiting and had diareah and refused to eat till I fed her this food. She loved it and for a while was all she could eat. It does have corn in it though but at the time it was all that worked and she had a nice healthy coat on it to. I fed her it for over a year and now she can eat anything so it really helped her.

Daisy answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Star

My vets always advised me if they were ever sick to give them chicken & rice, its light on the stomach and its easy to digest.
I would also advise you to seek your vets advise if it persists.

Star answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

First, you should probably have her checked by a vet.
I don't know much in the area of sensitive stomachs, so can't help there.

Try Dick Van Patens LID (limited ingredient diet). It is highly rated. My dogs also have sensitive stomachs and I feed them any of Van Paten's LID kibbles.
I also make them lean turkey (boiled in a bit of water until done, then drain the water), white cooked rice, some green beans. Give them a bit at a time. Do not give a dog with vomiting or diahrrea the regular amount of food whether their normal schedule in once/day or twice/day. Just give them little spoonfuls every 1-2hrs. or so. That way they can digest what they ate. Continue doing so during the day until they've consumed about 1/2 of the total amount you normally would feed them on a daily basis. I also give them a couple of tablespoons of small curd cottage cheese. It the diahrrea is bad, I give them a bit of Pepto-Bismol. Just check in a dog site about how much pepto to give them. That always stops my dogs from getting worse and often stops it altogether. I checked with my vet tech and he said it is ok to do what I do.