Koda

My wolf dog needs to lose 20 pounds.

I am a 2 year old 95% timberwolf/ 5 %Malamute cross. My previous owner fed me Beneful, advised by my vet, and my new owner switched me over to taste of the wild high prairie. Currently, I'm being fed 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cup at night. I need to lose approx 20 pounds. I weighs 104 and my ideal weight is 80-85 pounds. My new owner walks me two miles a day as well. Am I eating too much to achieve my weight loss goal?

Asked by Koda on Jun 13th 2011 Tagged weightloss, wolfdog in Obesity

Answers

Samson

If your dog is too fat simply decrease his food intake...Taste of The Wild is a good food.
Though your dog is gorgeous he is not 95% timber wolf...Someone told you a tall tale!

Samson answered on 6/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

The amount you are feeding should be fine for weight loss as long as he continues exercising. My 58 pound dog eats that amount for maintainance.

And Sampson is correct. Any high wolf content and the animal would be unmanageable and dangerous all the time. I might believe he was 5% Wolf.

No matter. He is dog enough and we love out dogs! He is very handsome and it's hard to see the extra 20 under the luxurious fur.

Hoo boy. 20 lbs is a LOT for a dog to lose- that's like a human trying to lose 50 lbs! It can be done, but it will not come off overnight.

Exercise, exercise, exercise! That might be difficult with a wolfdog, since most are not off-leash trustworthy, and many are so neophobic they have difficulty leaving their yard, but it's got to be done. Just gradually increase his fitness level- start with short walks, then longer walks, then some running, then maybe running with a bike for longer distances. Northern breeds (and wolves) should have very good stamina for distance running.

The food sounds like a good amount, but if you're up to it, I think the BEST weight-loss diet (and most natural for wolves and nordics) is a raw diet- either prey model or BARF-type. Check out the raw forum on dogster, they have lots of tips on how to get started.

TyGuy

I would highly recommend getting your big guy on a homemade diet. Taste of the Wild is a decent commercial food but the amount of fillers it takes to actually make dog food into a kibble that will hold together is ridiculous. And, those will keep weight on your dog. Here's a great article about making food for your dog easily and cheaply: www.dinovite.com

You could skip the rice in the recipe and use more hard boiled eggs and your dog will get to an optimum weight pretty quickly without starving. He will be very satiated and content...and shiny and healthy!

I just bought my supplement from this company last weekend and used 15CRAZY6 as a discount code when I checked out and got 15% off. I am not sure how long it's good for...but worth a shot!

TyGuy answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer