My Wheaten Terrier keeps chewing on drywall. Is it possible he's lacking something in his diet or just a bad habit.

Reading other peoples responses, he may be bored. Although, he does have his sister here and they play well together. He has an embarrassing amount of toys and a dog door to go outside during the day.
When I show the chewed areas to him, he lowers his head and feels guilty. I have 1/2 the kitchen walls covered with dog gates where he has chewed and he just keeps moving down the line. I guess I'll try the bitter apple?

Asked by Member 1064627 on Oct 19th 2011 in Chewing

Answers

SNEAKERS

If you haven't tried those large Leather Chew Toys, that may be of some help.

But, if it's a Dietary issue...
There are some differences in Breeds for Dietary intake, you might do a search for your specific Breed, and compare that with the Food you are feeding presently. Adjust/supplement/change as necessary.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Amazing Grace

I ate drywall as a pup and a desperate Mom called the vet. She thought it was a teething issue at the time. The vet said I had a calcium deficiency and put me on a suppliment. After a year old mom stopped the tabs and again I began eating drywall. Mom called the vet and he said to wean me off of the calcium. It worked and I no longer crave the stuff. Consult with your vet. Good luck!

Amazing Grace answered on 10/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

boredom. he is not getting enough exercise. having a sister to play with is not enough mental stimulation for any dog or any terrier. Terriers have to have a resource to blow off excess energy.
I took my dog running in the woods and we both felt so excellerated inside. It was such good healthy stimulation to run in the woods like that. We both I am sure felt energized and free :) of course, be safe and keep your dog leashed at all times.
you might want to consider, jogging, running, ball games , running in the park, frisbee, or biking with your dog instead of bitter apple spray. Motto::: A tired dog is a happy dog :)