My vet made a comment that my cattle dog is overweight.I diden't think so.I thought she was stocky.What should she weigh

Asked by Member 1128088 on Aug 28th 2012 in Obesity

Answers

Try to feel the ribs. If there is a thick layer of fat over them, she's overweight. Ideally there should be minimal fat, and you should be able to feel the ribs.

Most dogs these days are actually overweight.

I can't tell you exactly what she should weigh without knowing her height and body build. BUT, there are very simple tests to tell if your dog is overweight that work for all breeds.

Feel your dog's ribcage. How difficult is it to feel her ribs? Do you have to press hard? Okay, then she is overweight. A dog in good condition, it should be easy to feel ribs. You should also be able to feel her spine and hip points without pushing hard. If you can't find them, she's fat.

Another test- does she have a clear waistline when viewed from the side and the top? Cattle Dogs especially should have an obvious waist.

Really, I would trust your vet though. He/She has seen hundreds or thousands of dogs, and is trained in what a healthy dog looks like. Sometimes vets are afraid to call their patients fat for fear of offending their owners, so it's good that yours is being honest with you.