My usually well-behaved 5-yr-old dog bites my legs&feet when I walk downstairs.Tried several "cures". None have worked.

Asked by Member 213752 on Dec 13th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

tessa

your well behaved dog thinks he is your boss...you have to teach him otherwise...try putting a leash on him for awhile and go up and down the stairs if he tries and bites you..grab the leash..and with a quick tug firmly say no..there are many excerises that you can do with him thatll help teach him you are the master......good luck...

tessa answered on 12/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't agree he thinks he's boss. But you could have him wait until you are safely off the stairs before he comes down/up. That's what I do with my 2 big dogs. They don't bite my feet, but they think the stairs are like a Nascar track that they have to shove me out of the way to *win the Stairs 500! lol

Bailey

distract him. Either with treats or a squeaky toy- whatever he values more. Clicker training would be a good thing to look into for this as well.
Get his attention by calling his name before he has the chance to focus on your feet, have him sit, then click and reward. Do this over and over and over again and make sure to really reward him heavily once you've reached the bottom of the stairs. If you do it right, you'll start to notice that everytime you go down the stairs he'll be sitting and/or looking up at you for treats. you can eventually start to phase out the treats as you go down the stairs, and start only rewarding him for once you two have made it down the stairs without any biting.

an alternative method you can use if he is well behaved enough to hold a sit-stay. is have him sit at the top of the stairs until you reach the bottom and release him, in which case you would then reward him for letting you go first all the way down before following.

Bailey answered on 12/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer