My uncle (whom I live with) has a newly acquired, 9 mo old rottweiler/pit bull mix.

This dog was raised by his granddaughter who did not devote enough time to him. He jumps on people, mouths at fingers, and darts in front of cars (of the people he knows well; he's also chase my car a few times, and I am afraid he will follow me out to the road someday and get hit). He also cries loudly and incessantly if he is tied up or placed in a (very large) dog run (usually allowed to roam free as we live on a farm and he follows my uncle around). I would say he's aggressive (with the jumping) but he also rolls onto his belly at the smallest sign of friendliness (often as I'm walking, nearly making me trip several times). I am concerned because the of the dog breed, I know these dogs can become a problem if they aren't raised properly. Should I be worried?

Asked by Member 1130733 on Sep 14th 2012 in Jumping Up

Answers

NOPE you dont "need to worry"...you need and your uncle have an untrained & undersocialized dog. The jumping is a sign of trying to get attention use your knee and using a grumpy voice say no without touching him, the mouth of the fingers is because he is possiblity losing the last of his baby teeth or he never learned to NOT mouth gently tap his nose and in the same gruff voice say no and give him a toy/chew that is ok. Keep your dog on the leash at all times outside and allow the dog to follow you around the farm (they make training leashes that are really long you can tie to a near by tree) I believe he is barking from the dog run because he is lonely/can see you, doesnt have anything in there to "entertain" him, or plan & simple k9s want to be park of their pack (dogs/humans) Rottties are herding dogs and Pit-bulls were NOT bred to attack they were bred to help castrate bulls.
2 last things make sure the pup has been seen by a vet for his shots & a doggie trainer

Dutchess Roliena Skyvy

i think that your dog just wants more attention and he needs a little bit of training on not to chase cars the mouthing at the fingers is just showing a sign of love my dogs does that even though she has lost all of her baby teeth they only want you to know that you will always be loved so good lick with him

Dutchess Roliena Skyvy answered on 9/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The things you are mentioning sound normal for any dog that is not trained to have better manners.

Pit Bulls ARE prone to animal aggression (aggression towards other animals), however. That is something you need to watch out for.

I would read up on both breeds and talk to those that are experienced with them so that you are informed and know how to train him.

Gamma

owning a pitbull they are not dangerous dogs. you want to watch for dog-on-dog aggression as with any dog but they are some of the most friendly breeds when raised like any other dog. your pup is just undersocialized and has no manners. get him trained and he will be fine. it DOES take work though and isnt a "weekend job"

Gamma answered on 9/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer