My two dogs have been acting strange towards each other lately. What should I do?

My two dogs have been acting strange to each other lately. My puppy (Mimi) is almost 2 and has been fine with my older dog (Megan) who is 6 until a week ago. We adopted Megan 4 years ago and know she was abused by her owner and had to fight for her food and territories in the backyard with several other dogs. Could her past life be affecting this? Another problem is the fighting does not happen around us. We will leave the house and come back and realize Mimi has cuts all over her face. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1157458 on Feb 28th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

It sounds like you are perhaps dealing with same sex aggression, now that Mimi is maturing. This can be extremely serious in female dogs and one can easily end up dead if they really get into it.
I would contact a certified veterinary behaviorist ASAP for help dealing with this issue, in the mean time DO NOT leave these girls alone together...it will likely not end well!!!
Good luck.

Chase

I agree with the previous poster. Make sure that when you leave the house both dogs are crated, or they are secured in separate rooms for the duration of your absence.

Chase answered on 3/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer