My son's 11 month old puggle cries whenever I leave her with anyone else. She whines and cries until I return.

We've had her since she was 3 months old. She's formed an attachment to me as I am home every evening; my son works long hours. When I leave an no one else is at home, I crate her and I suspect she's ok. Not sure if she cries the entire time i'm gone. When someone is in the house, we leave her uncrated and she whines & cries until I return. When I get home, she cries and jumps around me, like i've left her for years! I could have been gone for a short time or longer time. The crying drives others crazy as there's nothing they seem to be able to do to stop her or distract her. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1132844 on Sep 26th 2012 Tagged crying, puggle, puppy in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Shana

Sounds like your little love-bug has separation anxiety. I suggest giving her things to do while her mommy is gone! this can be giving her Kongs stuffed with yummy treats to all kinds of nylabones. Do this right as your leaving so shes distracted, then quietly slip out of the house without saying goodbye to her so she doesn't even notice. This should work so by the time shes done your long gone and she shouldn't get worried. IF this doesn't work maybe take her to your vet to see what they think. hope this helps good luck!

Shana answered on 9/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mika

She most likely stops after a while...but who knows right? I agree with the other poster, really the only thing you can do is make sure she has lots of toys and a good solid bone to keep her busy. Fill a kong with biscuits or peanut butter. And be sure to leave her crate door open and available to her even when you are home with a bed in it so she can willingly go in throughout the day and treat it like a safe haven

Mika answered on 9/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Alikazam

I agree with the others about using distraction techniques. One other suggestion is to have the others ignore her behavior. When she whines and carries on do they give her attention like coddling and cooing to her? This will only reinforce the whining by saying I'm going to give you attention for this behavior. Make sure they ignore her and turn away from her when she does whine. No scolding either that is still attention. She has learned that whining works. She trained them well.

Alikazam answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer