my solid black german shepard has a smelly oily coat and she scratches and loses a lot of hair what causes it

Asked by Member 810654 on Mar 2nd 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

Holly

Sounds like it could be mange, you need to take her to the vet to get her diagnosed and treated!

Holly answered on 3/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That is not normal.
And a healthy gsd doesn't have an oily coat nor smelly coat. Something is very wrong and I recommend she goes to the Vet asap.
If she is a shepherd she will shed heavy in the Spring, late fall and every heat cycle.
But, if the coat is oily and smelly then she is sick or sick on her skin under the fur somewhere, it is possible to have maybe the Mange, or perhaps flea Dermatitis

Troy

My dog had been having the same problem. I took him to the vet and they said it's more than likely allergies. He recommended we change his diet to non-grain food (I'm using Merrick) and to take fish oil pills.

Troy answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a shepherd that had the same problem. I put him on Chicken Soup For the Dog Lovers soul dog food. After a couple of months he improved considerably. Still scratched some but not near as bad. You might give it a try.
Karen