My smooth fox terrier passed away 3 days after giving birth. I have 2 newborns. What should I feed them? Time? Quantity?

One of the puppies died in-utero. She was unable to give birth, so the vet did a c-section. 12 hours later fever started, going up to 40.2 Celcius. She did not respond to any med. The vet decided to take a look and found an utero in very bad shape so a histerectomy was performed 24 hours later. She survived the procedure but was to weak and died 6 hours after.

Asked by Member 1135980 on Oct 15th 2012 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Try posting this on the health forum on this site. There are more people there. It's been a long time since I had puppies that young. In the mean time, you should go to the pet store before it closes and get some puppy formula. They can't go long without the right food. I'm pretty sure they need to be fed every 2-3 hours, even through the night. People on the health forum can give you more info. Good Luck!

My Fizzly ( In loving Memory )

ok I dont know whether I'm gonna be able to answer this in less than 1000 characters
Prepared for a nightmare time ! Right Welpi is a milk substitute your vet will have some !
the measurements are on the packet
You will need to keep the puppies warm either a heat lamp or hot water bottle in a box with a towel so the puppies dont touch the bottle
Feeding will need to be done every 2~3 hours through the night as well !
main thing is making sure you have the correct teat as the milk can go down into the lungs and cause pneumonia so make sure you hold the puppy in an upward position when you feed them
If Milk comes out of their nose this is a possibility so watch out for that ??
Another main point is puppies also cant wee or poo themselves until they are older ?? Use kitchen towel Paper with warm water and in an upward movement then wipe around the puppies bit's ?? then around the bottom in a circular movements and then they will poo ! Please contact me my email zena-zoo@hotmail.co.uk

My Fizzly ( In loving Memory ) answered on 10/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

get goats milk get a baby bottle a small one warm the goats milk till a little less the luke warm the pups may not take to it right away but keep trying they will. you will need to take a wet wash clothe clean and run some luke warm water on it you will have to wipe across their peep and butt hole because they are not able to go to the bathroom on their own yet. You will see they do it as it will come out. eacg time you feed use the CLEAN wash clothe this means everytime you do this CLEAN the wash clother under saop and water and then you can use the same one each time.
It has been a long time since I had pups but this will continue till they can do it on their own and when they can you will see it, They need no washing at this age if they need to be washed you can at 4 weeks 8 weeks they say but I would do it and then keep them very warm after it but this is ONLY if they are diry for some reason I mean VERY DIRTY. If you don't keep them warm all the time they will die.

Starbutt answered on 10/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer