my small chihuahua has been " squirting" liquid poop :(

my small chihuahua has been " squirting" for lack of a better word, liquid poop. It's been one day. Yesterday he vomited about 3 times, was lethatgic as if he was sick ( obviously ). Today he is still pooping liquid dihareah, but he has an appetite, he's drinking, he's playful, completely himself, except for these uncontrollable bowel movements. He literally stood there and it just came out of him and onto the wall, im sorry for the graphic description. I checked his stool closely to look for blood, there isnt any. But, it's almost like a thiuck mucus. It's brown, but has almost a clear textured mucus to it. Any advice on what could be causing this? Something he ate? Anytihng i can feed him to maybe solidify it, or make his stomach not be too upset? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, please note, we will be taking him to the vet if this condition doesnt get better in the next 24 hrs, so no need to post the usual TAKE TO VET. posts, we will. he is 11 months old, normal weight, he is neutered, and overall healthy. Thank you so much in advance!

Asked by Member 643296 on Jun 13th 2008 Tagged poop, vomit, sick, ill, diahreah, liquid, stool in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hmmm...my guess would be something that he ate and it is upsetting his tummy or intestinal parasites. I would with hold food for 24 hours and then feed a very bland and gentle diet for a few days such as rice and browned hamburger.
I would also be sure that he is staying hydrated~it does not take much to dehydrate a small dog!!
Best wishes!
~Sonja

I'm glad to hear you're taking him to the vet, but I think that if his diarrhea is that bad, you may want to make an appt with the vet even sooner, if you can. Dogs with symptoms this bad, even if they SEEM okay and even if they ARE drinking can get very dehydtrated and that can be very dangerous. But, it is a good sign he's not feeling so lethargic anymore.

Plain boiled white rice can do wonders in a case like this. Feeding him the rice alone or with his regular food (if he's eating it) can help quite a bit. It does two things....first, it binds the stomach contents together and second, it helps soothe the digestive tract and soak up some of the extra acid produced by the upset tummy.

The mucus you're seeing is a result of a very inflamed colon. When the colon becomes irritated, it produces a sticky gel like substance that coats the stool or sometimes just comes out on its own.

So, rice, possibly an earlier trip to the vet would be my advice.

You can start out by taking him off he regular food and put him on a soft bland diet... boiled rice and a little boiled chicken for a few days and see if he is better. If it continues, you should probably take him to the vet.

Milo

You need to withhold food for at least 24 hours to see if you can get the symptoms under contol. Once that happens then you can slowly begin giving him small amounts of food until his stool returns to normal. I have a chihuahua who has colitis and that is what happens to her. I have changed her food to a lamb and rice food and that has helped her a great deal.

Milo answered on 6/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sammy

My dog has had a similar problem when we bring him to the ocean because he drinks the salt water while catching his ball in the water. I would say it is related to something he ate or drank. If it continues for more then a day, you may want to take it to your vet. Good luck!

Sammy answered on 6/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer