My shitzu keeps eating its poop what should i do to make her stop.

my shitzu keeps eating it poop what should i do to make her stop

Asked by Member 1001679 on Aug 23rd 2010 in Methods of Training

Answers

Winnie Mae

Unsweetened, canned pineapple chunks in her food. Just a couple tablespoons, drained and without the juice. She should eat the pineapple just fine, and her poop will suddenly taste horrible to her. After a month, take her off the pineapple. If she still eats her poo, you can try again with the pineapple.

Also, make sure you feed a high quality food, with lots of protein. If the food is mostly grains, it is just as appealing in the BOWL as it is in the YARD.

Winnie Mae answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ginger-  M.I.A.

I think there is some kind of commercial product vets can prescribe (maybe find it in stores too?) that you feed to the dog that makes the poop taste bad.

Also you can teach "leave it" so that when she starts to turn and go for the poo after it comes out, you tell her "leave it" and she won't eat it. How to train "leave it" any trainer can tell you, or go look in the 'Behavior and Training" section of the dogster forums. Also, some puppies just go through a poop-eater stage, they outgrow it eventually if you keep discouraging them.

Most importantly, NEVER leave her alone in the yard so she can eat the poo! Supervision and prompt cleanup are the first steps here.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can buy a product called deter at most places like petsmart or petco