Roxy Poo

My shitz zu has a serious problem with my cats litter box!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and how I can fix it. My Roxy (shitz zu) has a discusting habbit of getting into my cats litter box and then taking the "pieces" back to her bed to consume them. Our Isabella (Rag Doll Persian breed) is an indoor only cat. I have tried moving the litter box but Roxy will still find it. Does anyone have some advice for me on how to keep my Shitz zu away from the litter box?

Asked by Roxy Poo on Sep 4th 2009 in Coprophagy (Stool Eating)

Answers

My cat's litter box is in the laundry room and I use a baby gate to keep Deogie out. It gives the cat a calm place to do her business and no chance of Deogie getting into it.
You also may want to check to see if the cat's food has corn in it. Corn as we all know is not digestable, so when your cat poops it is full of corn. This may be one of many reasons why Roxy does this. Switching to a grainfree food could possibly help.
Roxy is a sweetie. Have a good one.

If you can find out a way to get a dog to stop eating cat poo you could market it and be a millionaire!!!! Seriously, it is like candy to the average dog. Only thing I have been able to do is keep the box behind a baby gate... cat can go over the gate, dog can't. I have tried making a maze with different sized cardboard boxes and holes cut in them for the cat to enter but it doesn't work with a small dog! Right now my cat box is in a kid's small playpen. Works for my poodles!

Maverick

My brother Twiz has the same problem! Mom gets so mad and grossed out! You can either feed the cat corophogia tablets so that the dog won't find the "treats" as appetizing, put the litter box behind a gate as others suggested, or buy a litter box that has an entry from the top! You can them at Petco o& Petsmart. Hope that helps, my Mom knows just how you feel!

Here is a link to one of the cat boxes:
www.petco.com

Maverick answered on 9/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Xanadu Carlena

I know how you feel, I bought the self cleaning cat litter box, now I don"t have to worry about the dog getting in the litter box. So when the cat uses the litter box then the self cleaner will scoop the litter into a plastic container and the lid closes, plus this helps to keep the ordors down.

Xanadu Carlena answered on 9/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer