Ginny

My Shih tzus don't want to eat their food..

I have 2 shih tzu, Harry and Ginny. they're about to be 1 year old so 2 weeks ago I changed their food to the adult kind. Of course, I changed it gradually, so they don't have a bad transition to the new food.. nevertheless, it's been more than 2 weeks and they don't want to eat.. I'm very worried because they've been eating almost nothing and i can feel now their bones.. I don't know what to do... the vet said I should give them time but now I'm worried. Yesterday, Ginny didn't eat at all and she was unhappy, i could noticed it.. her tail was down, she didn't want to play, and i think she was bending her back.. please help?? what symptoms are those?? waht do I do to make them eat??

Asked by Ginny on Mar 23rd 2010 Tagged food, shihtzu, eat in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Either the dogs are sick or the food is making them sick.
I suggest a vet with a full exam. even a blood panel which is around 50.00 is good to do when you see dogs not eating it may uncover a parasite or whatnot.
You may have to gradually switch them again. What are you feeding them?
Just like us not all foods can agree with all dogs.
I use to feed 2 or 3 different kinds of foods with the 3 dogs I have then I went to raw and I know buy 2 different types of meat because one has sensitivity to a protein.

so maybe even switch not the food but the protein. Like if for instance if they are on a chicken based food go to a fish or lamb formula.
Usually you see allergy and upsets on chicken and lamb but not so much on fish and beef.
There are a few that use beef proteins so research your bag on what you are feeding and change up your proteins. :)

Usually the food or the dog is really sick ??

Dieta answered on Mar 23rd.

Answers

Maverick

If you think Ginny is sick than I would take her to the vet asap. If you think she is just waiting you out for a better food (which is very common) than you have nothing to worry about. Mom works for Nutro and recommends a food for sensitive systems since Ginnys breed is known to have allergies. Like you said always switch slowly over a weeks time to prevent upset tummies! I would check out:

www.thenutrocompany.com
They have a great herring meal formula and a venison meal formula that would be great for Ginny! They are both high in linoleic acid for her skin and coat and have all the vitamins and minerals she needs to be healthy and active! Nutro has been around for over 80 years and does not use any chicken by-products (heads, feet, and intestines), ground yellow corn, or artificial colors and preservatives that may be found in other foods.

Maverick answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should be able to feel the bones. If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.