Mai-Tai

My Shar-Pei is afraid to go outside.

My ten month old non-neutered Shar-Pei is extremely afraid to be outside. He is always on a leash with me. I live in a condo complex. After he does his business, he pulls and pulls to go back inside the house. He is afraid of all outside sights and noises. The sight or sound of a moving car, children,and adults really upsets him. He will pull to the point of chokeing himself in order to retreat to the safety of his home. I have tried a gentle cloth leash, and a prong collar, all to no avail. Attempting to walk him has not resulted in any changes. I use a short lead to keep him by my side, yet even with a prong he will pull and pull, to the point of chokeing. At this point, not wanting him to be in pain, i bring him inside. Any helpfull tips would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Mai-Tai on Apr 22nd 2008 Tagged shyfearfull, pulls in Behavior & Training

Answers

Jiggs  CGC

It's going to take patience for you to teach Mai-Tai it's safe to go outside. You might try taking him out in very small increments, not just when he has to potty. Take him outside the door and if you can, have him sit and stay and at that point praise him and give him a treat, tell him what a good dog he is even if its just for a minute or two. Do this throughout the day, on your days off if you can and each time stay out a little longer. The important thing is NOT to react when he acts scared, do not scold and do not praise, when he is calm is when he should be praised. If it's real bad you might want to find a good trainer in your area that can help you. But please, using force is not going to help Mai-Tai at all, this will only make things worse. Good Luck.

Jiggs CGC answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

I've been told by people here on Dogster that when a dog is scared of everyday normal activities, it is because he doesn't trust you to protect him. He doesn't look at you as the pack leader. He has to gain your trust and know that you will not let anything happen to him. Take it slow. Start with the treats to let him know that it is okay to go outside.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 4/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer