My senior dog with vestibular disease (periphrial) is not eating. He's not eating well. Can I give him baby food?

I've tried different flavors of canned food, cottage cheese and oatmeal. Of course the only thing he finished was the 3.0 ounce can of incredibly expensive dog food. What can I safely give him that would meet his nutrional needs? He is approximately 17 years of age. We adopted him from the animal shelter many years ago and they could only estimate his age then.

Asked by Member 860524 on Jul 25th 2009 Tagged pickyeater, seniordog in Senior Pet

Answers

What does your vet say? In the long run, most dogs are better off eating a carefully formulated dog food. It sounds like there may not be a long run if you don't get some calories into him. Try it.

Sassy

In his condition you really just want to get calories and water into him. Baby food is fine but make sure there isn't any onion and salt. Water it down to get more water into him.

Read dogaware.com. The kidney disease page has ideas on feeding anorexic dogs and references for further research. Once he is getting some calories in there worry about the calcium and such.

Make sure he is getting enough water. Dehydration is a subtle danger as it makes them ill and out of it without any apparent thirst I water down Sassy's food. Could try broth as well.

Sassy answered on 7/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer