My Rottie pup 2 months+, growls and get very aggressive if i try to get his beef bone or wet food.

Wet food is COOKED chicken and ground beef mixed with kibble.
No issues with treats or (dry) kibble only, I can even put my hand in the bowl of kibble. I have tried for a few days to have him sit and beg for his food and also put him on his back in submission. behaviour does not change

Asked by Member 858327 on Jul 20th 2009 Tagged behaviour in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

It's called resource guarding.
You're doing the right thing by having him sit and obey commands before he eats, but the alpha rolling is very unnecessary as this is not actually a dominance thing. Even if it was, I would never recommend alpha rolling. It can make a dog feel like they are being attacked, and thus provoke a bite. Now encouraging a dog to roll onto his back by rubbing his belly, that's fine.

Other things I recommend is having him eat from your hand, and practice "drop it" sometime during his meals. The above has worked for my Papillon mix, when he started showing resource guarding over his meals of raw meat.

Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on Jul 21st.

Answers

Rusty

Behavior is never going to change in the course of a couple of days, unless it changes for the worse. Putting him on his back is not the thing to do - he is not trying to be dominant, he is simply concerned that you are taking his food away. In the wild, even the alpha dog in the pack will not take food once another dog has claimed ownership. I would suggest that you start getting him used to you being near his wet food by tossing something nice INTO the bowl instead of trying to take it away. When he finally (and this will take weeks, possibly even months) understands that good things happen when you are near his bowl you can begin to work on taking the bowl up off the floor to add something to it. The key is to move slowly.

Good luck.

Rusty answered on 7/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sassy

Even more than just putting yummies into his bowl try handfeeding. His food sounds sort of gooey, not a problem for me but you could use a spoon to drop food from a bowl you hold to his bowl on the floor if you like. My dogs can eat neatly from a spoon but it took a while to get there, try the bowl on the floor. With every bite use sincere praise which pairs your voice with good stuff.

Read up on resource guarding. A 2 month old pup growling at food means this is going to crop up again and soon. You need solid ways to redirect this tendency. Jean Donaldson and Patricia McConnell have good information on this issue. I was hoping this site had exactly this issue but you can look through and get some good ways to deal with your pup anyway.
abrionline.org

Sassy answered on 7/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Law Lampkin

My Rottie pup who is 3 months now did the samething when you even tried to get close to his bone, but making him beg is not the answer. Making your pup feel comfortable is the key. So try feeding the wet food to him slow and make him feel comfortable with you being around.

Law Lampkin answered on 7/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Stop with putting him on his back in a submissive position. Not going to work and could make things worse.
You need to practice making him comfortable with your presence at his food bowl and the above mentioned ways of making that happen are good ones. If he feels threatened, like being rolled at any moment, he won't relax.
Go easy with the puppy. Negative reactions, beget negative results.