Ives

My roommate's dog is limping for 2 weeks and she isn't doing anything. Help!

My roommate has a medium sized mutt who injured herself about 3 weeks ago. At the time, she began limping (not using one of her hind legs). My roommate brought her to the vet a few days after the injury and got her some anti-inflammatory pills. About a week later, she reinjured it by jumping onto our porch. It's been almost 2 additional weeks, she is still limping just as bad as when she re-injured it, won't use one of her hind legs, and I'm getting sick of it. I can't afford to bring her dog to the vet (I have 2 dogs of my own to care for) but I'm fearful for her dog. So here are my questions:

1) is there anything that can be done that doesn't involve a vet trip (home remedies)?

2) I heard that if an animal stops using part of their body for an extended period of time, it becomes habitual and they can sometimes discontinue using it. When will she get to this point where she stops relying on using that leg all together?

Help!

Thanks!

Asked by Ives on Aug 12th 2008 Tagged injury, limp, treatment, inflammation in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Have your roommate massage it...maybe its a badly strained muscle. My puppy injured her back leg at the dog park running around. She started limping badly favoring that particular leg. I almost freaked out but i did stay calm and got her on the ground and i was able to massage it away. Im NOT saying thats what's wrong with this dog since im not a vet, but see if that helps and if it goes too long your roomie should take her dog to the vet.

Tell her to take the dog to the vet asap. After all, a dog is (or should be) a family member, and what if one of her children would limp like that and be in pain? If she is worried about the cost, tell her that waiting might just make things worse and therefore more expensive. Anyway, if she wants to have a dog, she needs to save some money for situations like that!

Cody

Take your doggie to a vet. Rember to ask as many questions as you want to the vet so you will know what to do in the future. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Cody answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hannah

First of all, stop allowing the dog to jump or climb stairs, etc. No jumping off the porch. If this means you have to sort of "quarantine" the dog until she allows the leg to heal, then that is what you have to do.

If us humans sprained our ankle, then kept jumping off the porch, we would also injure the area over and over before healing was allowed.

Other than the above advice until the leg has healed, a Vet trip will be required if the leg is injured worse each time.

The anti inflammatory from the Vet, and not being allowed to jump, etc until healing is my advice for you.

No leaping, jumping, chasing, climbing, etc until the leg is healed completely. Then, ease the dog back into the normal activities. If you know the cause of the original injury, do not let the dog engage in that activity all together.

Wishing this fur kid quick healing.....

Hannah answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer