my rescue pee's when someone comes & I go to pick him up. I'm not sure but I think he is scared

Asked by Member 1157098 on Feb 26th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It might be submissive peeing. It is a reaction he can't help. Try giving him treats while you pick him up. Also pick him up on a floor that's easy to clean up, like the kitchen floor. He should out grow it. Jax did it until she was around 3 years old and Koby still does it but less frequent. I distract Koby with his ball. It usually works pretty good. Just to be safe, I would have a vet check his urine to rule out a urinary tract infection. Good Luck!

Why do you pick your dog up when someone comes over? Perhaps this is creating some anxiety in the dog as it may appear to him that something bad is about to happen and you are saving him by picking him up.

Also, keep in mind that if this is submissing peeing, most dogs are not even aware that they are doing it so scolding the dog will not help.

The best advice I can give you is to completely ignore the dog when someone comes over. Tell the person coming in to ignore the dog as well. If he is jumping on the guest, tell them to just move forward and push the dog off using their knee. Dont look at or speak to the dog until he is settled. At that point you can invite him over to say hello