my red nose pit has a rash on his belly and i cant seem to get rid of it. Its been there for almost a week.

hes not losing any hair. Its only on the underhalf of his belly and his underarms and inner back legs. Ive put desaten, cornstarsh, and vinergar. and hes been licking it constantly and scratching. hes been licking it so much that it looks like little scratches above his private. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE IM LOW ON CASH AND CANT AFORDE TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET RIGHT NOW.

Asked by Member 563373 on Jan 27th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Milligan

My vet will let you make small payments each week.(when we adopted our mastiff mix from the humane society he was heart worm positive. talk about expensive!!) Will your vet allow that? It is worth asking. I hope your dog feels better soon:)

Milligan answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Your baby should really go to the Vet to have this looked at or at least get it diagnosed.Stop the vinegar solution since it seems like it is irritating the area even more.YOur Vet may give you a dose of Benedryl to give your baby,but u want to get a proper dose of that not just give it unless you know how much.It may even be infected and may need some other treatment or a certain bath or such.
What type of food and treats are you feeding? Are you using any type of powder on your carpet to freshen up the house? He could be reacting to that or if you have had your carpets replaced or cleaned recently that could be an irritant.If he is in a crate an laying in unrine if your not able to get home in time to let him out,that may be it,laundry soap on his blankets.There are alot of things it could be.
But it is also not uncommon for babies to get rashes.Don't put anything on that he could lick off,he could get really sick.
Hope this helped.write to my dog page for more help

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am no vet or have any veterinary skills, so please take dont what I say too seriously.
It sounds to me like he is having an allergic reaction to something.
Have you changed laundry soap, his shampoo?
Does he have any fleas? Has he eaten something new? I have heard oatmeal shampoo is very good for their skin.
Ricky has very bad allergies and the more he scratches the more he itches. Its a vicious circle.
I agree with the above poster
Call your vet and see if they will work with you on payments, at the very least maybe they can offer some advice.If that doesnt work ask around for orginizations that will help you pay the vet bill, then you pay them back on easier terms.
Good luck

Just wanted to say, it is NOT a red nosed Pit Bull. A Pit Bull is a Pit Bull, whether he has a black nose, a red nose, or a blue nose. No matter what, they are still wonderful dogs that crave love and companionship!

Dante

First, let me say that seeking veterinary attention would be BEST. However, since you say that it's not an option, here's some other options. Do you use vacuum powders on your carpet? That might be the cause. Also, check around outside for ant hills, fertilizer, oil, etc that he may have laid in. Fabric softener on blankets he uses? Has he received a bath recently or used flea spray/powder? Either way stop the topicals you have tried. You can use a cortisone topical if needed but I would just leave it alone. The dose for benadryl is 2mg per pound. You can also use the generic diphenhydramine, or veterinary "histacalm", it's the same ingredient! And whichever you use, it's always 1-2mg/lb up to 3-4x a day. Provide lots of water because it causes dry mouth occasionally. Sounds to me like he has an allergy to something, whether in your house or outside. Try to find (and get rid of) whatever it is, and then try the benadryl. allergies are not uncommon in dogs and see the vet! :) good luck!

Dante answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

Buddy would sometimes get rashes like that fron nibbleling. I used this sulfer stuff i got from walmart for hot spot i usually use it on bits rashes scratches its great it makes it go away in like a day. I cant rmeber tfor the life of me whats it is called im at work but its a yellow liquid in the pet isle at walmart and it does have sulfer on the bottle. It has a read and white lable. It smells horrible but i swab whatever the rash bit or scratch is with a ball of coton and that seems to work for me

Buddy answered on 1/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TRIXIE

Trixie got a rash on her belly when she started eating a new dog food. The best advice i ever got was from a lady with a Animal Nutrition degree, she said a lot of dogs are allergic to: CORN, WHEAT and SOY. I am betting your dogs' food has one or all of these in it and he is developing allergies. Couldn't hurt to change his food for a while. Good Luck!

TRIXIE answered on 1/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer