My question don't fit in this box. How do I get a dog from "just a companion dog" to a service dog?

I had to rehome my dog bout 6 months ago. I have depression PTSD anxiety and night terrors. My theripist wrote my land lord a letter sayin I needed my dog for all that and my landlord said I couldn't have my dog here because he was " just a companion dog" not a service dog. How do I gwt it so that my dog is a service dog for me and not just a "companion dog"!? Please help me

Asked by Member 1151271 on Jan 21st 2013 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

I would ask in the service and therapy dog forum on here. It is under community om the top right.

Please repost this in the Service & Therapy Dogs Forum on the main community forums.
People there can provide you with links to the ADA, HUD, etc.
I do know that a letter from your doctor is required, and you have that.
What you need to do is make sure you are clear on the differences between an ESA..Emotional Support Animal, and a Service Dog. SDs perform specific tasks to mitigate the handler's specific disability.
Again, you can start a thread & get a dialogue going & folks there can guide you through the process.
Good luck

Sally

What makes your landlord an authority on the subject? Make sure the letter states you "Service Dog is medically necessary".
He is NOT allowed to ask what your disability is, nor request your dog to perform tasks to prove it. Contact me if you need more help.
:)

Sally answered on 2/18/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

1) "Companion dogs" where started so Vets with PTSD could have dogs when they rented, your landlord is wrong about that. 2) Go to www.psychdog.org they can help. 3) www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm will help to. 4) To start the service dog training all you need is a letter from your doctor saying the dog helps with your condition and the dog has to pass the AKC Good Citizen test.