my puppy whines in her kennel all night. What am I doing wrong?

We brought home an 11 wk old puppy 5 days ago. I started crate training her the day after she arrived. I let her go in on her own time, gave her treats, praise etc. I started feeding her meals in there with the door open and she was fine, goes in and out on her own. When I close the door, even for 2 minutes she whines. I tried leaving her in there until she quieted down but she never did. She's quiet if I sit in front of the door so I sit until she's quiet for a min then let her out. At night we put her in there and she whines and screams for hours. We let her out to pee and put her back in and she starts all over again. I've tried the hot water bottle, the ticking clock, putting her in our room so she could smell us, putting one of my shirts in with her. Nothing works!! She gets a ton of exercise. If she doesn't stop, our condo association may make us give her up because the neighbors are complaining. And I need to get some sleep at night... HELP!!!

Asked by Member 593183 on Feb 23rd 2008 Tagged cratetraining in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

There's a lot of pressure these days to crate train puppies. I don't think it is for every dog.

While I think it can be ideal for SOME dogs, the idea that all dogs benefit from this is short-sighted. It is good to get them at least used to a crate in case you ever need to use one in an emergency, though.

It is also possible to housetrain a dog without a crate very easily. See Jack's diary for tips on housebreaking (but, scroll back a bunch of entries for it.)

An alternative would be those topless wire fence like things that you can make any size. She would probably feel more comfortable in that since it will seem less closed in to her.

Dogs like to be with their people, so if you don't have any problem with it, she should probably sleep in your room. That alone will probably calm her down.

Ask the neighbors for patience and tell them you are actively working on the problem.

Hang in there. It will be a long few weeks, but you'll get through it!

Jack answered on Feb 23rd.

Answers

It took a few nights before I stopped whining in my crate. Don't sit in front of it!
Occupy her with a Kong or a Nylabone. (Get the puppy kind. In my picture, you can see me chewing on a Nylabone.) I think that they are both available at Wal-Marts. If not, they are at a Petstore for sure.
You're doing a good job, feeding her in the crate and all.

Gizmo

We crate trained our Shih Tzu (who's now 3) but still to this day if we put him in his crate he makes so much noise that you can't even hear yourself think. We only crate him now if we have company and are eating because he likes to beg, or if someone's at our house that he doesn't know very well because he doesn't like strangers very good. Anyway, he has never learned to be quiet in his crate. He will eventually fall asleep, but he never just sits there quietly. If you lived in a single family home I'd just say keep doing what you're already doing, but since you have close neighbors you may want to try to enclose him in one room like the kitchen or something with his crate open, a few toys, and some puppy pads. That way he can run around but if he has an accident it won't be hard to clean.

Gizmo answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

Try covering the crate with a lightweight dark colored sheet or blanket, so she'll know it's really night time. Be patient and ask your complainers for suggestions. They will be less likely to complain if they are involved. Good luck. Sounds like you are doing everything right with her.

Lily answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Obbie

Probablly for the 11 wks she was with the breeder, she was never in a crate. Just keep at it and she'll get used to it. Try putting her bed in there, thats what I do with my dog at night - And he voluterily goes into the crate for bed. Also maybe put her in a secluded room or cover the crate with a blanket so she doesn't see the fun going on outside the crate and then she won't want to join in.

Obbie answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HAYLEE

GIVE HER A BED IN THERE AND A BLANKET. GIVE HER SOMETHING TO CHEW ON. AND MAYBE PUT SOME QUITE TOYS IN THERE, THAT WAY IF SHE GETS BORED SHE WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO DO. MAYBE EVEN GET A TEDDY BEAR (BIG, BUT NOT TOO BIG) AND PUT YOUR TSHIRT ON IT. AND WEAR THE TSHIRT FOR A LITTLE WHILE THEN PUT IN ON THE BEAR. DONT USE A CLEAN FRESH TSHIRT.

HAYLEE answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

pudge

I am fostering an 5 -6 week old and have some of the same issues. Sometimes it helps to have an open crate so she can see her outside surroundings. It sounds like you are doing the right things, sometimes it just takes them awhile. Some dogs have anxiety issues from being caged, she could possibly have this. Keep being patient, puppies are rough, I have been up every 4 hours for the last couple of nights to go on potty breaks. Kongs or chewy's are also a good solution. Use her favourite treats and put peanut butter on the kong. It will take her longer to finish and keep her busy. You can also try treat boxes. Put some treats in a cardboard box and let her get them out.
Good luck!!
Pudge & Mollydog

pudge answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Liberty Luv

You are not doing anything wrong, if the pup has had no crating prior to you getting her, it just may take more time. If you try keeping the crate near where you sleep so that you can comfort her without disturbing your own sleep as much it may help. Persistance will pay off, may just take a bit more time!!

Liberty Luv answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

kitaira

I screamed for two whole wks in my crate beside my momma's bed, until I finally understood that my crate was my personally space.. Momma would just praise me when I was quiet and fuss at me if I was screaming..she even gave me treats when I was quiet in the kennel. She gave me my very own bed to lay on w/ a big stuffed bulldog and some chew toys.. My older sister never learned to be crate trained tho cuz momma would always come and let her out of the crate when she wouldn't stop her crying, so she learned that if she cried long enough momma would come let her out..but momma didn't make that mistake with me, she learned to have patience and earplugs... We wish u the best of luck.. Maybe try a babygate in a tiled area where u can put the crate and some toys and some puppy pads

kitaira answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kensington

I can totally understand how you feel. Crate training can be difficult. I will suggest a few things I did with my Chihuahua. At first I elevated the crate to bed level so she can see me at night - I would put her in and close the door. Also, I suggest that the crate be comfortable: a small pillow, blanket. In my crate I have a heating pad. Some dogs love heat and will enjoy being in the crate because of the hotspot. I also suggest putting treats - even hiding them under the pillows and blanket so the dog is constantly rewarded while being in the crate.
Ok, the hard part, the dog HAS to learn to be in there when you are not home. WHat I would do is put the dog in the crate and walk away into another room. As soon as the whining stops, go back into the room and praise and let the dog out. Maybe do that a couple of times a day if you can. ALso, I would also play classical music while in the crate. ALso cover the crate with a cover, except the door, and at night cover completly. Good Luck

Kensington answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

leon

your puppy just wants to be with you which is normal and she should eventually quiet down..

leon answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jiggs  CGC

Here's a good site for some information on crate training.

www.inch.com

My question would be, is your puppy getting enough exercise before bed? A sleepy puppy is a quiet puppy. Maybe she needs more exercise in the evening or during the day. You might try finding a dog walker or a doggy daycare for her (after she's had ALL her shots) or taking her for a nice long walk in the evening. Also you might enroll her in a puppy class, this is great for socialization and the trainer will probably have some ideas for you. Good luck.

Jiggs CGC answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Guinness

While Baboo is no longer crated, Guinness has been since we brought him home. He's 5 months old now. He too screamed for the first few days, but eventually got used to it. I had to get some ear plugs. He's learned now that when he is in there, he needs to rest and be quiet. Be patient. You could try putting the puppy in a fenced in area that is not a crate. Guinness has a gated small area with a bed, etc. Your puppy will get used to it. Don't even bother with letting them potty when they're screaming, just her work out and scream, even if it's for 6 hours. She will learn it's a safe area and will love to be in there soon enough. Guinness does.

Guinness answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer