My puppy was spayed and is bleeding from her wound the vet also gave her to me with he belly dirty, what should I do?

I just had my 8 month old puppy spayed. Her wound seems to be bleeding a little I called her vet and he told me that is normal but I'm not sure. Also her belly still has all what I'm guessing is iodine to clean the skin before surgery and dried blood, shouldn't the vet have cleaned her up before sending her home? I'm scared to clean it and damage her stitches? Any advice?

Asked by Member 825189 on Apr 10th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

If you are truly concerned about the way things look, my recommendation would be to get a second opinion from another vet at the same clinic or another vet clinic altogether.

It is not terribly uncommon for there to be some issues with recent spay. There seem to be more issues, in my experience, with some types of closures than others. Some vets now suture the "inside" layer with dissolving stitches and use skin glue on the "outer" layer of the incision. I've had nothing but issues with the skin-glued incisions, from liquid-filled bumps to bleeding. They eventually did resolve after a few days by themselves, but it's certainly disconcerting.

Moira

A little bleeding is normal. Very little. As for the betadine and dried blood, it doesn't clean up very easily. My Moira was spayed 10 days ago. She does not have any betadine stain, but a little dried blood. I have washed her gently twice and it isn't coming off without scrubbing. I will wait until her two weeks are up. She was itchy from whatever antiseptic she was washed with. My washing her did take care of that.

If it doesn't get any worse over the weekend, she is OK. If it doesn't stop, call again. Moira had to be checked for something else. There was no charge. And keep her quiet.

Moira answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rocket

My dog has had several instances where he needed stitches. It was common on him to see some cruty dried up blood where the stitches were. Iodine stains, so his belly may still look a little yellow. If you are still concerned, the stitches open or bleeding or if it looks infected take him to another vet immediately.

Rocket answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

try to keep the wound clean and dry.
then in 8 days if the wound looks red or swollen take her back.
warm dry compresses would help dry out the area also. If she will hold still, if not, don't worry just keep eye on her.
leave the iodine there. If it is pup, it will keep the pup from licking and bothering this area. It is bitter and it is good it is there.

My dog was neutered last fall and when he got home, his incision had some dried blood around it and he had some minor bleeding. For both of those, the vet told me to take a wet, warm wash cloth and apply very gentle pressure to the incision for a few minutes. Don't wipe, don't rub, just gently hold the wash cloth to her belly and that should help with any minor bleeding and should clean up the blood. But do not rub or wipe. But, consult your vet before you do anything.