My puppy received meds for possible scabies. I am itching and have bumps and "burrows" on my back, stomach, and back of elbows. Can any type of dog scabies transfer to humans?

Asked by Member 919814 on Nov 19th 2009 in Puppies

Answers

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Yes.
Been there myself. The Sarcoptic mange mite is transferable to humans and they will live on surfaces as well. If the dog has been sleeping in your bed, or lying on the sofa these items are infected with mites.
The good news is they don't live on humans very well and die in 3 weeks. The bad news is they itch so bad you will want to dig them out of your skin with your fingernails long before then.
You must get rid of the mites on the dog and the surfaces in your home and possibly outside as well.
Links to remedies:
www.earthclinic.com
www.myhomeremedies.com
I purchased a shampoo at the Vets to ease the dogs itch and was dabbing it on my itchy bumbs too. I used the HP, mule team borax and water mix on myself. Soaked an old sock and wore it til dry (one leg was the only place they invaded) This gave me instant relief and lasted 12 hours or so, I repeated..
Good luck

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 11/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wow,I definitely learned something here today,never knew "mange" could spread to humansThis is a good warning for folks who might be tempted to ignore a little scratching or hair loss.Skin problems seldom resolve themselves.We've never had any mange here.I did see one man bring an entire litter of Boxer pups into the vet, all had mange@less than 6 wks. I thought that was pretty strange, but I guess it may be becoming more prevelant, like bedbugs for humans.Maybe the mites are developing resistance to the insecticides.20 Mule Team Borax also kills fleas around the house. It's a natural substance and I don't think insects can become "immune" to it's effectiveness. It wouldn't hurt to treat your home with the 20 Mule Team Borax,I have a hunch it might work to kill the mange mite too.GoogleHappy Jack"+mange,there are some products there too.I bought a bottle of the mange treatment for a friend who took in a mangy bald stray,it was working but someone shot the poor dog.

www.omnimedicalsearch.com

They can transfer but should die in a few days, yes.
Hope this helps, our scabies are a little different then the dog type

Boo

Yucko Chucko! Scabies! Been there. Done that. And yes, they can transfer from animal to human, then back again. Scabies can be difficult to get rid of once you've got the infestation. because they continue to burrow and lay eggs that hatch in cycles. You'll need to treat yourself and probably everyone else in the house not once, but at least twice when the eggs hatch again. All linens and clothing must be washed in hot, hot water. Vacuum your sofa and beds (any furniture the dog has been on) and make sure you toss the vacuum bag out when finished.

Scabies can last for weeks causing itching, scratching and skin infections. Trust me when I tell you they won't just die off in a few days if left untreated. After working in health care for ages I can tell you I've seen plenty of human infestations that were pretty ugly and time consuming to erradicate. Your doctor can also prescribe topical medication for you and your family...and it ain't cheap either.

Boo answered on 11/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer