Ziggy

My puppy pees when he gets scared or someone goes to pick him up, what should I do?

I have a puppy who's about four months old. (We rescued him from the shelter) Anyways, when I take him out to go to the bathroom I pick him up and carry him outside because he's being treated for worms so he can't run around the house but when I bend down to pick him up he gets scared because I guess he thinks he's going to get hit (not sure why) and he pees. It's not like a lot of pee most of the time but sometimes it is and I'm not quite sure what to do because of course I'm trying to potty train him all at the same time and it's confusing him and I don't want to pop him because I know he's not doing it to be bad, he's just scared. Ahh so confusing! HELP!

Asked by Ziggy on Dec 3rd 2010 in Crate Training

Answers

Never hit your dog.

Many dogs eventually outgrow it, but you can reduce it by building the dog's confidence up. Start with obedience training. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. As you praise the dog for following your commands, it will build its confidence.

Play tug of war with the dog and lose. However at the end of the game, take the rope or toy and put it up, less the dog becomes confused about who is top dog. Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Finally, make sure it has a den to live in. If you are not using a crate, buy one. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

he is submissive, best to not reach over him, reach under his chin to pet. Take him out to pee more also, before you start to pet.
Have in hands treats at all times to distract his peeing in submission. Try squatting down to his level, but sometimes, puppies are just more excitable at this age.
Play games with food and do all his obedience with food.

Gunner

Okay,
First of all don't pop your dog anymore, it won't help the submissive peeing...it'll just make it worse. What your puppy is thinking is "Oh no! Mom's gonna pop me for peeing but I can't help but pee because now I know she is going to pop me and I can't help it! NOOO!!" haha.

Instead, (This is how I potty train, I've foster and have housebroken many of dogs) if she pees in the house and you don't catch it, ignore it totally. Take her out at certain times. I take Paisley, my Doberman puppy, out every hour. I also take her out EVERY TIME she wakes up from a nap, EVERY TIME I let her out of her kennel, and before I pee in the mornings. If I hear a single whine I take her out.

When you go outside: it's all business. NO PLAY for potty time. Put him on a lead and simply walk around outside and let him find a place to pee. It may take 15 minutes, but he will do it.

Now, it's play time! And give him something yummy, like a piece of hotdog! Always praise everything you like. Always.

Gunner answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pop him??? Never hit a dog.
And I might add after reading Ziggy's pet peeves, if in fact you are still growling and blowing in his face, this needs to be stopped. No wonder he has submissive peeing.
Do some research and apply positive dog training.

Sonny

Even if he's being treated for worms he can wear a collar and be taken out on a leash.

Picking up any poop very thoughly and toss in trash.

Submissive peeing gets better with time and positive training. The more consistant and predictable the better he'll like it.
No teasing the dog.

Sonny answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It really scares me lately how many Dogsters are mentioning yelling, hitting, popping the dog and squirting stuff in it's face for behavioral issues. Dogs are living, breathing creatures and deserve to be treated as such! Pain and other adversives will only serve to make your dog fear you and fear IS NOT respect or trust!!!
I was raised in a large family on a farm in VT. My parents taught us to respect ALL living creatures and to treat them kindly. We had farm dogs and cats as well as large animals and they were all loved and RESPECTED as living animals deserve. If any of us kids EVER raised a hand to ANY animal on the farm we were punished as if we had done the same to a human.
I have carried that belief with me throughout my adult life and I am proud to say my dogs listen to me and follow my commands because they know good things happen when they do. Sure, they make mistakes, they are animals, but when they do, pain and physical punishment is not part of my response.