My puppy loves to bite my arms and face when we play, but it hurts! How do I get him to stop?

I have a 12wk old corgi/terrier mix breed puppy. He is actually quite calm and is extremely sweet, but he bites me when we play. When he bites my hands/arms I saw no and redirect him to a toy but he doesn't listen! He listens to "No" for other things so I don't understand why it doesn't work here. If I'm on his level he bites my face and neck and ears. It seems like his way of showing affection but those little puppy teeth can really hurt! It hurts and if I "yelp" he gets more excited and keeps doing it.
He is such a good puppy and usually a good listener but the methods that have worked for him with other things are not working here. Any ideas on ways to show him that it's not okay to bite?

Asked by Member 1082125 on Jan 5th 2012 Tagged puppy, bite, play in Behavior & Training

Answers

Rocky

Maybe try a clicker Not sure what to do really but the clicker worked wonders on my dog when he was little

Rocky answered on 1/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Koby

You can try saying ouch really loud. That works on some dogs. Keep redirecting. He will catch on if you continue to use other ways to inhibit his biting as well as the redirecting. You can also get a soda can and put some pebbles in it. When he does that, give it a quick shake and say ouch firmly. If none of that works, just walk a way and stop all interaction with him. Each time he does it again, walk away again. He will figure out that biting means no human interaction. Koby is 9 months old and he still does it sometimes. They just have to be reminded. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 1/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer