Riker

My puppy keeps eating his own poo! Help!

I try to keep an eye on Riker, I really do. Except, sometimes I leave him alone for a few mintues and I return to a stench and Riker happily licking his lips, looking up at me with big eyes. Whenever I see him poo, I always tell him to leave it and pick it up right away, but his recent irregularity in potty is making it difficult to do that! Is it true that changing his food might change this behaviour?

Asked by Riker on Aug 1st 2008 Tagged puppy in Coprophagy (Stool Eating)

Answers

Beach Angel Chelsea, CGC

Before you change his diet try this: Sprinkle a little meat tenderizer or MSG in his food. Then, the next time he eats his poo, it should taste nasty! If that doesn't work, you can purchase some stuff at the pet store that you can put in his food like Deter and Forbid. Usually, puppies outgrow this nasty habit.

Beach Angel Chelsea, CGC answered on 8/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kobe

There is probally nothing to do to stop this behavior except keep your yard picked up of the poos and be there when he does his poos to pick it up right away. Outside of that the best thing is to look the other way.

Kobe answered on 8/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rusty

The deter is great stuff but i added a little pineapple in their food and once i noticed they stopped (about three days later) I added it every other day for about a month then no more. It worked and its worth a try for you. Good Luck with it

Rusty answered on 8/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sometimes a change to a raw food diet or a grain-free kibble will resolve stool eating problems. The commercial products (Deter, Forbid, etc.) can also be a big help.

If that doesn't help, you might want to check out this article that discusses possible causes and solutions - www.thehousebreakingbible.com

In the meantime, just don't kiss him on the lips!

BONE

Please DO NOT add MSG.
"Glutamic acid is an amino acid commonly found in foods. Because MSG is absorbed very quickly (unlike glutamic acid-containing proteins in foods), it is known that MSG could spike blood plasma levels of glutamate. Glutamic acid is in a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins. Abnormally high levels of excitotoxins have been shown in hundreds of animal studies to cause damage to areas of the brain unprotected by the blood brain barrier and that a variety of chronic diseases can arise out of this neurotoxicity."

A natural alternative is to add pumpkin to your dog's food. It tastes great going in but tastes horrible when it comes out.

BONE answered on 9/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer