my puppy is three months old and has diarrhea what do i give

my puppy just started too have diarrhea today and i would like too know what i can give too stop it?

Asked by Member 893644 on Sep 25th 2009 Tagged chihuahuasick, diarrhea, food in Health & Safety

Answers

Mina

There's a few questions first...

How long have you had the puppy? He may be having loose stools because he's nervous

What kind of food is he on? A change from what the breeder was feeding him might be the reason he's having diarrhea... he should be transitioned slowly. Also, it's got to be puppy food (of course)

How long have you had him? Has he seen the vet? Some dogs have allergies, or sensitivities, to certain types of foods, or components of dog food. You might want to check that out.

Has he been checked for worms? He might have worms...

At any rate, keep him well hydrated.
If there is no obvious reason he's having issues, sweet potato (cooked and mashed with his food) will help make his stool a little more firm.

Either way, I'd suggest you see a vet, just in case!

Mina answered on 9/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First you need to know WHY your puppy has diarrhea before you can find an appropriate treatment. Giving them something could cause more harm, especially if a blockage is possible.
When Deogie was a pup with occassional bouts of diarrhea, a bland diet of extra lean ground hamburger (cooked and drained) and rice calmed his stomach, chicken and rice is another option.
A vet visit is in order if the diarrhea continues.
All my best.